1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Irritating customer!

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by YardMedic, Dec 18, 2007.

1. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Well it's no secret that NH has gotten some good snow in the last several days. I have a new customer this year, someone I'd had a little rocky start with over irrigation this past fall. Anyway, problem resolved and onto snowplowing.

Single car wide, 2.5 cars deep driveway on busy residential road (lots of traffic, lots of city plowing). $30/per push.... no biggie

Plowed first couple storms, no problem. Big storm over the weekend, his small trailer & SUV are in the driveway, so I'm only able to clear the street end & a little behind the SUV. No problem, I'll be back later to get the rest of it when we have time to move cars & clean up. Got a call from the wife who said they parked the cars like that to keep me from plowing so they could save some coin around the holidays. I'm irritated, but whatever. "Ok, then consider the end of the driveway my compliments." No cleanup, I'm ok with this.

Fast forward 2 days to today. Phone call from John saying the USPS won't deliver mail because of all the snow the city has plowed in front of his mailbox, so what would I charge to come clear it out? I hem & haw for minute and then answer, "$15." He comes back & says, "That's half the driveway cost!" I then tell him that it's a special trip JUST for his property, not even on a storm day. He says to do it, sounding all defeated & like he's doing ME a favor by having me come down to clear his mailbox. WTF????? What's with people?????
  2. big bird

big bird Senior Member

does he wear his *** as a hat :nod::drinkup:
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2007
  3. santelikk

santelikk Member

Tell him he can save the $15 and go buy a shovel and do it himself otherwise.
  4. Rotator911

Rotator911 Junior Member

I would have told him $50. I wouldn't rehook my plow and make a special trip for somebody being cheap.You were nice to do the end of his driveway for $0.00 Time is $ Fuel is $ & plowing is money!!
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Explain to him that your "regular" customers get a different rate then "on-call" customers. Maybe he will become "regular" again and if he doesn't then he knows he will pay more.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

have you been paid for all you services so far?

7. YardMedic

No, haven't billed for December yet -- have the 2 plowings before this last "mailbox" thing.
  8. NCass31

NCass31 Member

just push the snow in front of the drive way and leave it there until he calls you to clean it up...charge $15. theres your $30.
  9. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

just plow out the mailbox. literally. run it right over. then when he calls you tell him he owes you x and you have no idea who hit the mailbox

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Don't get me worng but isn't that a federal offense if you did it on purpose? Thats the last thing I would to, if the word got around about that, your name would go down the crapper.
  11. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Is your life and truck worth $30 After almost getting hit on a busy street I don't do customers on them. Not to mention the time you wait for traffic.
  12. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

Yes it is a Federal offense to damage a mailbox maliciously
  13. YardMedic

You're probably right about this, to say nothing of the current aggravation. I may have just become "overbooked" & need to unload this 1 extra customer! :waving:
  14. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Thats exactly what I was going to say. I had to deal with something like it myself. An on call basis customer calls and asks when I'm coming out. Told him when I get there I can't give you a time. He says well I thought you would of been here by now. I say well you just called now didn't you? Well yeah but I expected you awhile ago :dizzy: What the **** man. Then he says theres a-lot of snow on the ground can you make it quick :realmad:. What a moron. SO I tell him that I have no idea when I'm going to be there cause I have many other customers in front of him. Oh well win some and lose some. He thanked me when I got there and gave me a $10 tip. :eek:
  15. iflyhelis

iflyhelis Member

You probably will be stiffed then.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i would stop over and hand him a bill in person before the next storm . if money is tight .
    your probaly at the bottom of the list .

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Get out NOW!!!! So what is the $60.00 worth it, if the customer is having troubles paying you before winter actually starts what will it be like in late Feb/March.

Plus to the fact they gave you issues with the fall clean up!!!! Get out now before they cost you more $$$ and grief.

18. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

"We blocked our driveway so you wouldn't plow it so we would have money for Christmas"

Why wouldn't they just call you and tell you not to do it? Instead you wasted you time and fuel.

If someone calls during a storm, (not a customer), I give them a "Price per inch" cost. $10 per inch with a min of $30. We get an 8" storm, it cost $80 to do the dirveway. They save on the 3 or 4 times in between that was only 3". So when the call to clear out the mail box again, measure and charge them the $240 for the 2' of snow in the way.

Drop them! If you have a contract to clear at a certian trigger then you need to get paid for it. If they refuse to have you do it, that is grounds to void the contract.

Drop Them!
  19. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

It's Bribrius, his names already in the crapper!
  20. YardMedic

:drinkup: suds all around for that one! I hope he can laugh at himself a little.