1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

iPad, tablet, smartphone

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Jscapes, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Jscapes

Jscapes Junior Member

Looking to use my iPad and iPhone more this year instead of having 100 papers all over the cab of the truck and my desk. What apps are you using for different things? Or how are you using a tablet or smart phone to be more efficient?
    MsBrie2U likes this.
  2. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

I am curious myself
  3. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

We use Excel spreadsheets, and have a separate sheet for each customer/property in one workbook to log everything. Date, time, snowfall amount, snow type (powdery, slushy, snocrete, etc), salt app rate, weather conditions (temp, wind, etc) damages and a general notes section.

Each truck has an iPad and the spreadsheet containing all that trucks properties. After the storm, they're all updated and merged into one spreadsheet.
  4. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I use Apple's Number app which is free for iPhone and iPad I believe? Allows you to make spreadsheets, works for me since I use iPhone, iPad and Mac's so they sync very easy.
  5. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

We've invested heavily in tablets for all our equipment and trucks. Gives us a live GPS location at any time and tracking reports afterwards. It's similar to operasoft but also shines in the summer too. Check out software called realgreen.com - its their mobile live application. It's really revolutionized how our company runs.
  6. ehlingerlawn.co

ehlingerlawn.co Junior Member
    from 56377

We also invested in the Mobile Live program from Realgreen. So far their system has been pretty impressive. Currently we use it only for our fertilizer technicians but we intend to use them for our driveways routes this winter and use them in all of our property maintenance trucks for summer.
  7. expandit

expandit Junior Member

Expandit Bizyform can put any piece of paper you want into the electronic world,(apple, android, blackberry, desktop, laptop) from a customer contact (crm) to invoices anything just ask us. We can get all of the different forms for your business into one program. Starting at less than a dollar a day. Check out our sample program we put together (link below). Go ahead play around with it, its a live version and remember it is completely customizable to you and your business. "Any Form Any Time" our website also has a bunch of demo pages we've put together for other customers. The same program will work for any business, say you have a snow business and a landscape business this program will work for both or all three or 10.....
    Give me a call

8. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Their newest release has the ability to hide pricing on the techs tablet so they no longet have to see what we are billing. Will be great for our salt trucks when we bill $500+ for 15 minute lots.
  9. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

I used Shoeboxed for tracking receipts and trips...easy and cheap.
  10. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Does anyone use blizzard busters??
  11. jhall22guitar

Never heard of it, and can't find it online. Are you trying to just keep your list of houses and stuff organized easily in the truck?
  12. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

No, I want an easier way to invoice customers. I only know about that program above bc my ex fil created it. But it's snow only. Just curious
  13. cbservicesllc

cbservicesllc PlowSite Fanatic

I use Service Autopilot...
  14. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Does this software run on Apple products or android only?

Would you mind sharing what the cost is like by device, etc? How well does integrate with invoicing software
  15. jhall22guitar

If you want to use your smartphone (small screen) or if you have a WiFi device (either one of the WiFi things you can get or a 4G enabled tablet) you could still use Quickbooks as mentioned for desktop in the other thread you commented on. That would probably be the way to go, and it would keep everything the same and updated.
  16. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Its android only. Depending on how many active clients you have will change the pricing. It handles all the invoicing too. I can sit in the office and shuffle routes in real time if needed if one route is taking too long or a truck gets in an accident (we had that). Call them about pricing. We bought ours outright a few years ago, have over 10k in ours. I think they are on a monthly subscription model now.
  17. Yeti-ST

Yeti-ST Junior Member

We looked and couldn't find anything so built it. We've got an android and ios app posted to those app stores. Search for YETI Snow Tracker. We have also built the web based management tool to enter your data - clients, sites, drivers, equipment, routes. It captures data from drivers you need to cover your ass and bill (start stop times, before after photos, notes from site). Check out the app on the stores and let me know if you want to be set up and try it. We are not in production yet so looking for beta users to give us good feedback from the field. We've been using it in our own company in Canada for a couple years.
  18. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

19. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

20. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

We use to use a CB radio , spiral note book, and a Polaroid camera.
    And a base station CB at home for taking and making phone calls.