1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Iowa

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mowey9, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Mowey9

Mowey9 Member
    from Iowa

Who all is from Iowa? I know that there are a few on here (The Boss, Capital, Iowa, etc.). Trying to find out everyone that is from IA that way we could all talk if need be and everyone would know who lives where here.
    Aaron
    Des Moines, IA

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Yup, I'm here!! :waving: ShannonS is up by Iowa City.

3. cuttinggreen

cuttinggreen Junior Member

Cutting Green not far from you in Bondurant.

I primarily work on the outskirts of Des Moines. Altoona, Ankeny....

PM me with you name and number and such if you like, and possibly we can help each other out if either of us get's in a bind.

4. Mowey9

Mowey9 Member
    from Iowa

I know that there are more then just the 3 of us on here from Iowa. Cutitngreren had the right idea. I was trying to find everyone on here that way it is easier to find people around here.

Cuttinggreen thanks for the invite I might just do that or even meet up with you and some other guys( if we find the rest of them).

5. Kaptain_Kurt

Kaptain_Kurt Member
    from Iowa

Yep Yep, DSM area

I'm in WDM. I'm about to take on a 3yr. plowing contract for a homeowners association. I need to find a backup in case of breakdown. Anybody interested?

~kurt

6. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

Im in Winterset, just 30 mins from WDM.

Guess I'm 30 mins from the South Side too :waving:

Just sayin hi,
    Mark K

7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

How come all you guys are in central Iowa? :cry:

8. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

I'm originally from southwest Iowa. Almost to Missouri.

Have to go where the work is,
    Mark K

9. Mowey9

Mowey9 Member
    from Iowa

Get together??

I was thinking that maybe we could try and have a local get together. I know about the Tri-State get together, but I was thinking about how nice it would be to have one with all the locals. I have seen a number of people on here from Iowa that have not replied to this at all but maybe they would like this idea. Any thoughts or ideas about this??
    Aaron

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  10. capital

capital Senior Member

Captain Kirt,

Just read your post about the town home assoc and a three year contract. If you think you can plow three lane miles in five hours with all the cul de sac and do it for $2000.00 a year, think you will find out that you have just managed to loose money. In a normal 2 inch snow fall you will only prob have to plow it once. Now ask your self how many times you will have to plow it in a 8" snow fall. And then ad in how much sand or salt does it take to treat a lane mile. If you have not done this before you have not calculated your time, fuel cost, repair bills, insurance to even begin to recoup the cost in one year.

11. Kaptain_Kurt

Kaptain_Kurt Member
    from Iowa

You are right Capital

Capital,
    I believe you are absolutely correct. I don't remember what details I posted exactly, but I did bid for all the overhead I could calculate, plus a per push charge. It ended up being quite a bit more than $2,000 i can tell you that. Matter of fact, my overhead is almost $2k just to get started. I ended up giving a flat fee bid as they requested which covers my overhead plus some profit, regardless of snowfall, PLUS a set # of hours that the flat fee covered. After that, I am paid by the push. Therefore, I have all of my expenses covered, no matter what, the # of hours is 25, and after that, I am paid by the push. So, if I hit 25 hours in the first storm by the 5th time thru the place, I'm covered, have made profit, and will continue to with a per push charge. I will be much faster after 25 hours of practice. At this point, I am looking for sub work. Let me know if you might be interested.

Thanks,
    ~Kaptain_Kurt

Last edited: Oct 21, 2004
  12. merez

merez Junior Member
    from dsm, ia

Hello all,

I'm over in wdm. I just found this site a few days ago and this is actually my first post. Anyways, I've sort of interested in getting a truck and doing some residental plow this winter. I'm learning a lot from reading the archives, though I'll be happy to listen to anyone that would like to teach a newbie.

13. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

I live in pleasant hill :waving:

14. Kaptain_Kurt

Kaptain_Kurt Member
    from Iowa

Cool Raptorman,
    What's your situation? As of now, I have the one contract with my homeowners assoc. (my neighborhood, in WDM by the new mall). First and foremost, I need to secure a backup/s, but am also looking for sub work anytime except the 8-5 weekday hours. That could change, but hasn't yet. The only reason i wouldn't be able to cover my route here is due to breakdown (or some horrible family tragedy i suppose). I am willing to guarantee paying out what I would have made on it, and no less. I don't want to make anything in that scenario, but feel an obligation to my customer (again, it's my neighborhood). Feel free to meet up with us when we do (this saturday at 3 perhaps?)
    -Kapt Kurt
    --Look at this post in this section for the info: Hey Grotecguy, Mowey9,Cuttinggreen

Last edited: Oct 29, 2004
  15. raptorman03

im subed out to bob link im thinking still

16. Kaptain_Kurt

Kaptain_Kurt Member
    from Iowa

Ok, might work, might not. I would take either 3-4 guys who 'might' be able to do it, or 2-3 who 'would' do it after their other plowing, or 1-2 who 'promise' they will show up....something like that. I'd like to offer the same in return. Stay in the loop if you want...can't have too many contacts.

-kurt

17. raptorman03

right on will do

18. raptorman03

Do i need a light on the roof when im pushing ?

19. Iowa

Iowa Senior Member
    from Iowa

Rock Valley here. I'm outcasted from you guys :cry:

20. Mowey9

Mowey9 Member
    from Iowa

Insurance?

Where does everyone get their insurance from around here. Ive got my commercial vehicle insurance thru Progressive, but I have not been able to get any GL here for a decent price?
    Aaron