1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Iowa commercial rates?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by WheelerandSon, Jan 2, 2008.

1. WheelerandSon

WheelerandSon Member

Hey all.

I am located near Davenport, Iowa (about 3 1/2 hours west of Chicago). Just curious if anyone would like to share their avg. hourly rates near this area? I have been wanting to go out on my own for a while, and the guy I currently help says that he is getting $50/hour for a pickup with 8' blade. Others I have talked to says that he is way too cheap. Just curious.

2. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

I too would like to know. I am charging 60 per hour for the truck with an eight foot blade, 50 per hour for any snow blower work and 40 for the shoveling. I think i am in line with the truck rates in my area maybe 5 dollars low. But I have talked to other contractors in my area and they were surprised I was charging what I was for blower and shovel work, I said no you guys are too cheap. I dont keep track of blower or shovel time if it only takes a few minutes of cleanup after the truck, only if I do alot of walkways or the few real small drives I do completely with the blower. After reading on here I feel my rates may still be too low. This is my first year so I may adjust prices accordingly next year.

3. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Keep in mind you can still only charge what the market will bear. I dont charge by the hour, but at the end of storm, I usually get between 65-80/hr, for truck and plow. I get 40 for snowblower/shovel work, which is probably low, but thats about all people will pay. I watch people on lawn care websites getting 50 bucks to drop the tailgate and mow a lawn, we cant even come close to that here. So when you read guys in other states getting high dollars per hour, dont necessarily think we can get away with that too.

4. WheelerandSon

WheelerandSon Member

I agree. I have been reading that guys up north are getting $125 per hour for truck and plow. I know that we could never get that here near Davenport. Thanks for the info.

Ryan

5. onemancrew

onemancrew Member
    from NW,IA

Over here in the nw I charge $20.00 to do a sidewalk and driveway. It is around $60.00 per hour. You are right about other states and areas I live in a small town of mostly retired poeple so there are at a budget per m. I have 20 driveways that I do thinking about selling plow and I have a F1145 with a cab and heater with a broom I'm going to get my blower for it today. There is another company the moves snow here to he has been doing it for 15 years and he has 150 places. One of his driveways called me last year and asked if I would clean her driveway (I didn't know that he did it) so I cleaned he was so PISSED OFF.:angry: Bad thing is he is the fire chief and I'm on the fire department also.(8 y):salute:

6. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like you'll be washing the fire trucks after calls all by your self for a while.

LOL

Stay Safe.

7. onemancrew

onemancrew Member
    from NW,IA

He has a tractor with a 10' bucket skidloader with broom and 8' bucket and a jd telehandler and 3 guys plus he owns a contractor company. I thought about not moving snow this year because he got pissed about 1 hate to see if I got any more from him. We didn't do contracts with anyone. No one salt in town because there is only 5 parking lots 3 gas stations and a clinic and a daycare and he done all.payup

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

lol, How to get $100 tp $150 an hr or more..

You go and bid a lot..
    You take a look at the lot and figure it will take you an 1 to 1 1/4 hr to plow.

You turn in a bid,$125 you get the lot.

Now ,after you get to know the lot you become more proficient at plowing. Now you can plow that lot in 45 minutes...

Then you are making well over $100 an hr... that's how
    Off to the next lot...:waving: