1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Invoicing Via Email??

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Clapper&Company, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

How many of you guys Send Invoices by email??

Theres months we send 60-70 Invoices out. Just trying to cut down on stamps Ect. Also though it would save time.

I'm getting ready to call all my accounts, and update billing info and stuff, and was going to ask which way they would like to be invoivce.

Any Input?

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

sounds like a good idea. you can be on plowsite and billing people at the same time. payup i think everybody has an email nowadays and its alot easier to have stuff on your computer already then writing it out.

3. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Yea Save, on ink dont have to print, With quick books pro, I can email the same invoice that they would recive in the mail, as a email

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I have a couple of accounts that I bill by email. One is a seasonal. For the past two years, I send him an email that it will be $xxx for the winter. Last year, I sent an email reminder in January for the second 1/2. This year, he just sent me a check in Nov for the full winter. I've never seen him. The other is an out-of-state owner who I email. Another one, I call and leave a message on his phone of how much he owes each month. With "unlimited calling" it's even quicker than email.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I am considering it and/or FAX billing for my customers, both shop and plow customers. Many of my vendors are doing it and when I look at my postage bill it seems like one of those little money savers that could mount up to a decent little pile of change.
    You figure that a stamp is $.41, the ink, the envelope, paper, and time, at least a buck @ as opposed to dropping it in the fax hit the right keys and send it off.

6. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

Don't ask which they prefer. Just tell them you're switching to email billing to control costs better. Tell them the invoice will look exactly the same as the one they used to receive by mail and they can even print a copy for their records if they wish. Then ask for the best email to reach them at. 99 out of 100 people prefer email billing. I only snail mail 3 invoices a month out of my 60-70 customers now. Obviously if they don't have a computer or an email address you can't do that, but in this day and age its very rare to find that around here. I have also found it to speeds up cash flow for most customers.

7. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Ok guys, It looks like were all about on the same page here. Thanks for all you input so far.

8. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Now that you brought this up i'l have to send a note in the next billing to my customers that e-mail is available to them and see how many would want to change over.

9. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

I'm just watching you back :salute:

10. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks but thats unusual to see a Buckeye watching out for a Wolverine who said the world couln't change LOL.

11. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

O wow, u know. When they tell you they sign with us that year, that will change your over look :)

12. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

I use quick books as well when an email addy is available. It also tells me when they open it.

13. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Ron
    I have been emailing most of my customers for the last 2 years. this year I also now accept Visa/MC/Discover.

Regards Mike

14. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

good idea, you could also add a paypal button so they can pay instantly out of whatever account they want to, sure you lose a couple % points to paypal but having the money asap might be worth it.

15. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

Does anyone get payed thru pay-pal?

16. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

All of mine are sent via e-mail as .pdf files. It works great.

17. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I've heard of various goods & services paid for this way, though I've never seen it or used it. So I wonder if Paypal would be a holding account for any number of our accounts, and then periodically a check is cut from this account to the real bank

18. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

I use paypal for all of my E-bay purchases and sales. Just click 'withdraw funds' and the money is at your bank. You still have to go to the bank to get the money. I have a friend that is an over-the-road truck driver, at one point he was stationed in TX for a while and he couldn't get his paycheck b/c it had been sent to his home here in NY. I paypaled him some money so he could get home, It was real easy, the money went from my bank acct. to his bank acct. (different banks), he got the money in 2 or 3 days, and was able to withdraw it at the ATM of a bank in TX.

19. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

90% of my landscaping jobs this year were sent estimates via email. Contracts were viewed, and customers requesting changes and my responses were all sent via email.

I get their email during the first interview and ask if it is okay to send them stuff. They all say yes.

20. dmc337

dmc337 Junior Member

I use both Quickbooks to email all corespondence and also Paypal for credit card payments. Every one of my clients that has an email address gets an emailed invoice, with the opportunity to pay via paypal. The client doesn't even need a Paypal account. I send them a payment request through quickbooks via paypal and they just click and enter their card info. Fees depend on number of payments, which for me are 2.9% plus $0.30 per transaction, cheaper than my bank charges, and I don't need a terminal.