1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

invoicing poll - monthly or as needed or other

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by NorthernSvc's, Feb 11, 2013.

?

when do you do your invoicing?

1. monthly

36 vote(s)
    61.0%
  2. as needed ( whenever you want...)

5 vote(s)
    8.5%
  3. after each storm

16 vote(s)
    27.1%
  4. other

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

We do monthly, 1st of every month they go out due by the first of the following, for all work done the previous...
    anyone do anything different?
    interested to see what everyone is doing, Im getting tired of these snowfalls at the beggining of the month and having to wait around 30 days just to bill for the work...payup

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Most are first of the month net 15. Some bigger ones we bill 1st and 15th net 15. Some nationals are automatically invoiced at the time of service. Then I add the $ amounts to an "invoice" to reference on Quickbooks to keep track.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  3. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

Wow, waiting 30 days just to bill for the work?

I bill after each storm & payment is due upon receipt. The billing & payment terms are the same for my non-snow related business. When I done building a retaining wall, patio, fixing a roof, etc., here's your invoice now pay mepayup

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I do monthly but In 2010 we had are 2' plus snow I sent that right after clean up of the storm
    Since peoples bills was high for that one storm haul off fees gives people more time to pay before 15th of the next month
    I wrote a note telling If it snows more for that month There will be a invoice mailed out on the 31st For the rest of the month and be due by the 15th

I pretty much I got all my money for the 2'+ storm before end of the month

5. vlc

vlc Senior Member

I used to bill twice a month, but it started to become such a PITA as I got more and more customers. I now invoice the 1st and net30. I'm not in a rush. I'm starting to get sick of Quickbooks with the amount of time it takes to get all the invoicing done. Is there a more efficient program out there?

6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I am not trying to knock the small plow business, or anyone else for that matter. However, when you start getting a high number of customers, it pretty much forces you to change your billing methods as well. Billing per storm is fine when you have 5 or maybe even 10 customers, but it starts becomming cost prohibitive when you have 30 or 40 customers. Once a month billing is the only way to go. If you can't afford to wait on your money for a month, then you need to figure out a new income generator in the winter months, or save more of your money in the summer to live on. I have picked up more accounts in the past 10 years from business that want to pay once a month, than I even want to think about. The best part is I still retain nearlt all of them.

7. vlc

vlc Senior Member

I hear ya. 72 plowing accounts and about 150 lawn care accounts. No way am I billing more than monthly!

8. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Monthly for both of our businesses. You just need to budget your cash. Does your electric company send you a bill every time you turn on a light?

9. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Once a month, net 30 days.... except for one customer that wouldn't sign a contract with anything other than a 2% 10 Net 45 payment term.

10. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

I do everything in my business on a net 10 setup. I have a full time secretary for other aspects of my business other then just plowing, it's what I pay her to do so she does it.

11. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

I love it how a simple question about how everyone else is operating suddenly turns into everyone telling me how I can't run a business.... Opinions are like a$$ holes I guess... and this place is rampant with ... opinions :)

12. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't want to bombard my customers with sometimes daily bills, they have more important things to do than process invoices and mail us checks every day. Snow should be something they don't even have to think about. Once, maybe twice a month processing the bill should be it. Why make it an every day issue for them?

13. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

I can assure you that my secretary isn't bombarding any of our customers with invoices.

It's the middle of February & so far this season we've had 2 plowable events :mad:

I'm in the Chicagoland & NW Indiana area. For whatever reason, we just don't get that many snow storms anymore. If you don't believe me go here & read all about it:

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=137228

14. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

RC, No offense taken. However, there are a few things that you may have overlooked.

I know for a fact that we are not the only small plow business here @ PS that also happens to be in the construction business year round.

It is quite common for construction, remodeling, etc., contracts to have many draws/progress payments in them.

Depending on the project, invoices sometimes go out on a weekly basis. Now multiply that by the # of crews & # of projects you have going on any given day.

Keeping all of the above in mind, it is no problem whatsoever for us to send out 34 invoices after each storm.

15. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

Some customers get the invoice within a few days of a storm( email) others get one approximately every 15 days as they do not want to be bombarded with an invoice every other day. (if we had snow of course)

16. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

RC, No offense taken. However, there are a few things that you may have overlooked.

I know for a fact that we are not the only small plow business here @ PS that also happens to be in the construction business year round.

It is quite common for construction, remodeling, etc., contracts to have many draws/progress payments in them.

Depending on the project, invoices sometimes go out on a weekly basis. Now multiply that by the # of crews & # of projects you have going on any given day.

Keeping all of the above in mind, it is no problem whatsoever for us to send out 34 invoices after each storm.

Again, no offense, but what happens on back to back storms, when you are trying to sleep in between, but instead you have to type up and send out 34 invoices. I do understand how the construction market runs, and know about draws as well, but I find it easier to just wait and bill everything out once a month. What works for some, doesn't always work for others.

17. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

ussmileyflag i bill out after every event .. well my wife does. same contracts for years ..unless it snows for days then will bill when were done. works for us .. last year i was doing 40 commercial accounts but cutt back to 20 this year..youngest brother took a different job that keeps him from plowing and my oldest brother has cancer and chemo and radiation has takeing him out of the game of plowing for this year anyway. so i droped some small jobs let so big seasonals go. but im right where i need to be for now went from 3 truck plowing to 1 in a year but i can still do my route in 12 to 24 hours depends on storm and if i tear up 1 truck i still have 3 back ups ..wesport:drinkup:

18. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

What happens?? It all gets done in less than 2 hours & we hardly do any typing at all. In fact, it's mostly mouse clicks. About 60% of our customers get invoices emailed to them. Again, a few mouse clicks here & there for each one, done. The rest of the invoices are printed out, put in printed out envelopes, stuffed, sealed & done!

19. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=145005

I can help with this. you can generate a file from excel. it shows your route. you simply put an x on each row/customer you do. then at the end of the day. (or after you put in your x's) you simply save the file. import into quickbooks, and ur done. all the data is already there

as explained in that other thread, i am setting up my system for doing everything mobile/paperless/importable. my paperwork for a month will take no more than a few minutes.

I might even write my own app to do all this for me without excel and from my phone. one interface to do it all.

20. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

two hours is a substantial amount when you are trying to get a nights rest inbetween 36 hr shifts. (if my truck and plow stop breaking that wont happen for some time again)