1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

invoice never paid, too late to get paid?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by jrc5049, Sep 9, 2009.

1. jrc5049

jrc5049 Member
    from pa

I had bills totaling around 1,200 - 1,500 for a buisness that i never sent in spring of 08. Now in dec of 08 i showed up to plow the lot and the deadbeat customer had found a low balling guy with a junk truck to do their lot. Anyways i was jacked and called and reamed them out good and the manager apologized for her mistake and she said just trun in the bill,
    so i worked up a bill for that hr of labor and when i logged onto the computer i seen the unpaid invoises from the spring 08 season. I submitted the bill for the hour i got jipped, and the past due bills. but NEVER GOT PAID for any of it. So I just said screw it, b/c it was my mistake that they never got those bills. But everytime i drive past this restaurant i remember that they screwed me and it makes me angry. Do you think it is too late to get the money i am owed by going to thier home office, or should i just let it go and learn a valuable lesson?

2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Thats a good question, I don't know what the statue is on collecting old debt, let me know if you find out.

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

You never sent them a bill for spring of 08?
    or they never paid their bills (that they received) from spring of 08?

doesn't really matter I suppose. If you don't care about your money, why should they?

that's like 5 months later you notice you don't have 1500 dollars?

Are you kidding?

This is why you have to have a policy of collection and enforce it. even if you take them to small claims court, you have no paper trail.

Imagine it from the customer's view. You contact me supposedly 6 months after you did the work and now you want a good sum of money? Contact me every 30 days by certified mail with records and yeah, clearly there's a trail.

doesn't make sense. I wouldn't pay it either.

YOU aren't tracking your accounts receivables.

4. jrc5049

jrc5049 Member
    from pa

I did send them the invoices for the spring 08, in dec 08 when i noticed it, and they never paid. It was within the same year? i mean heck some places dont pay for 90 days anyways.
    It was a busy week and i had many customers, and since it was the very last strorm of the year it wasnt untill dec when i logged back onto their account and noticed they didnt pay for those previous pmts. also never had a problem getting paid from this customer in 5 years , so it never occured to me to double ck them,

5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I hate to say it, but I think you dropped the ball, and you aren't getting paid. When I've had non-paying customers, I had to keep on them, sending invoices frequently, regular collection notices, notices by certified mail, etc. in order to create the paper trail. Had I not, it never would have held up in court. The services you supposedly performed, were a year and a half ago, I doubt you or them even remember what happened back then, pretty easy for them to dispute, and I wouldn't blame them. The bill you sent in December, from the previous spring, likely got thrown in the trash.

I'm with Brian on this one, I don't think you have a leg to stand on here...

6. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

You should have billed them when it happened, and you should have followed up. Someone owes me $1500, I stay on it. I think you are out the money.

On the other hand. If you REALLY did do the work AND you sent them an invoice, AND they didn't pay you, you might want to try this. Send them an invoice for the amount they owe after the first snow fall. Don't change any dates or amounts from the actuall invoice. They might not realize it and pay the bill.

Or they might catch you and then you can explain to them what happened.