1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

invisible unmovable object

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by birddseedd, Feb 4, 2013.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

so i hit something. it grabbed my box extension and pushed it bending and ripping my mold board. also ripped off one of the mount points for the mounting pin fixing it was easy enough, heat up, hammer back, weld and paint.

the confusing part. i cleaned reall nice in that area today. i could find no object. there is kind of a 5 x 5 foot "sag" or "dip" in the pavement. but doesnt look like anything float wouldnt take care of nicely.

the heck did i hit?
  2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

When you say float...do you mean trip????
    Do your homemade "box extensions" prevent the plow from doing this properly?
    I'm going to not hazard a guess as to what you hit cause i wasn't there.
  3. birddseedd

I mean float. i did not see anything there that would make the blade trip.

my extensions are not home made. and yes they allow the blade to trip. something grabbed the extension itself and pulled it sideways. although i cannot find anything.

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Some bad patch jobs in asphalt can leave a nasty edge a plow just loves to grab. It doesn't take much sticking up or even a channel cut in the asphalt will trip a blade. But does sound like your trip springs are to tight, something is bond up or going too fast. Trip should protect the mounts from being bent or broken.
  5. birddseedd

well. i did not do a very good job welding that part so im not surprised it broke. i put a brace on it now so i believe they are all held on strong now. but the hit was weird. it wasn't like my edge caught something and tripped. im actually down a spring right now but the plow did not go forward. at least that i recall. was yanked to the side.
  6. kimber750

So the mount for the extension broke? Like something tried to rip it off the side? What type of edge are on the extensions?
  7. birddseedd

In my inexperience i welded it to the mold board. at some point i will be detaching it from the mold board and putting braces across the ribs and welding the bracket to that.

it baisicialy pulled out, which twisted the mold board as the bracket was pulled away.

the mount that broke was actualy on my plow mount where you put the pins through holding the mount and a frame together. that is the one thing iv never been able to get welded well. partially because i cant actually get to it. but since putting some braces in holding them iv been able to strengthen them so i think the will be strong now.
  8. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Lol, so you finally use them a little and they get damaged. Expect more, if the snow continues you will continue to learn the hard way that your box ends are not the greatest thing - like you believe. Been there, done than, retired my box wings years ago.
  9. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

Looking at those welds no wonder stuff falls apart. I'd be ashamed of that weld, and no way I'd ever put it up online.

If anyone ever offers a welding class or course, it would be well worth your time and money to try to garner some knowledge.
  10. birddseedd

I used them all last year. I absolutly love them. I can windrow around tight corners pushing to the inside with no spill off at all. They save 40 percent on lots. Even make cleanup at the end of drives easier
  11. birddseedd

Actually the weld held quit nicely. The metal behind it ripped. Iv only had one thing iv welded ever fail.

Im sure a pro welder can do better, but the weld is stronger than the metal its welded to.

And yes i want to take a class or two in welding when the company can pay for it.
  12. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

You had no snow last year. Your still a rookie. Get a few hundred hours in Plowing and then we could really talk about productivity.

Anything is better than a straight blade, but IMHO your type of box wings will constantly bend and break. You will learn as you use them.
  13. birddseedd

If they were that bad then western wouldnt sell the pro wings wide out or fisher xls
  14. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Stop welding crap to your plow and truck when you make "upgrades" to your equipment that are not done right **** breaks. How you bent your mold board is beyond me and it proves that your welding is not what its cracked up to be.

Did you buy your extensions brand new and install them to factory specs?
  15. birddseedd

Actually quite the opposite. If something hits hard enough to break metal but not break the weld that shows the weld to be STRONGER than the metal itself. That is a good weld.

The wings are the only upgrade iv done. The only thing else iv done is repairs.

The extensions were bought new, but are not made for any specific plow so there are no factory spechs.

The mold board crqcked because the mounting bracket is welded to it. Something i will change at some point
  16. kimber750

Has someone made that plow wider?
  17. birddseedd

Yea. Was originally 7ft. They added 9 inches to it. Why 9 ill never know. I had to add an inch and half to each side to use a new edge. If i knew it was like that i would have never bought it. In fact if i knew anything about it i would have not bought it. But i knew nothing about plows back then.
  18. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

You hit the Tardis :-0
  19. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

How could you not have known that someone added to that plow? :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:
  20. birddseedd

I knew length was added, what i did not know is he did not extend it to a standard size.
    the guy even welded on 9 of cutting edge that was cut from the scrap plow it he got metal from. the weld was good. he was just dumb for stopping 3 inches short of a standard length.