1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Invisable Telephone Pole

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SnowGodFather, Jan 25, 2003.

1. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Well the inevitable happened, backed into that invisabe tele pole.

Shove the spreader up to the front of the bed and almost ripped the entire chute off the spreader. Bent the spinner shaft.

Luckily it was an easy no cost fix. Used some body pannel washers and tack welded them on to fix, ground the bent part of the shaft so it tould fit back on the gear box.

Glad it happened on the last pass of salt on the last account, but had to remove and dump a 3/4 load of salt before could fix it.

Only visable damage is a dent where the pole contacted the spreader engine cover.

Watch out after working for 24 hours straight. Damn refreezing.
  2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

you gotta hate those invisible poles! i backed into a invisible building one time, after a "few" hours in the truck.

glad you did'nt screw up the salter too bad
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2003
  3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I hit one too a long time ago it's amazzing how they just jump out in the way.lol Did no damage to pole just bent the rim on the machine a little but it was the concrete surounding the pole that i hit.They get right in the blind spot.
  4. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

LMAO this post made my day, thanks.
  5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I had an oak tree grow behind me on steroids or something after I had made a pass late Christmas Day. Wasn't there when I plowed through, backed up, BAM!
  6. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

My partner clipped an invisible 4 hole roadside mail box on the last snow.:D
    He backed across the road to make 1 last pass and backed a little too far.
    Bent the tailgate of his old Blazer into kinda a horseshoe shape.
    Luckily he had another gate lying around and changed it before I saw it.
    I didn't even give him too much crap,
    Mark K
  7. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Hope you are alright, sorry to hear about the pole getting in your way.

Maybe you tought the pole a lesson?

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Sorry to hear about the damage, but glad to hear that invisible telephone poles aren't unique to this area. I backed into one in a customer driveway after I'd looked behind me and was watching out the rear view mirrors. Going real slow so didn't damage the pole or the rear bumper, but felt like an idiot. Worst part was the customer's father was watching. He looked at me like - "What the h--- are you doing?". So I looked at him like "I meant to do that".
  9. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Don't go blaming the pole. They're all *perfectly* visible, until you close the eyes in the back of your head....
  10. snowflake

snowflake Member

damn hate that when that happpins been there done it tooo. it reallty sucks when you back into the same darn pole more than once in the same nite yet.

11. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I don't know which is worse, hitting the object; or when you've stopped or already started pulling away & see something in the one mirror you didn't look in & see something that you have no idea how you missed it. I hate that 16 or so heart beats during the period that only 1 or 2 should have happened. Just as good as a cup of coffee though :p

Now at least you guys have good excuses for these little bumps in this thread, you know, you were up all night, you were working... The other day I was backing into my driveway, worked my way around the other plow & truck looking at the passeneger side rear view mirror to make sure I get to the spot I want to be, inching along CRUNCH. Oh yea, forgot my wife had parked her car the last time about 5 or 6" over from usual & at an angle. Ooops. This was the 4th time that day that I had manuevered around the crookedly parked car, and it hasn't snowed or iced for several days, but I failed :( . I was pretty tired though if that counts. Several neighbors happened to be out at the time so that made it worse LOL Good thing was my wife had no idea when I got in the house. "What noise" "Nothing dear, pretend I didn't just ask."

That incident reminded me of the time we were living in an upstairs apartment with a big wide driveway & plenty of parking spaces. I get up to go plowing at 4:00 AM & completely forget her car is parked behind me (its a celica, you know about 2 feet high & maybe 4 feet wide & maybe 6 feet long, you just can't see it in these big trucks IMO). This time SLAM + LOUD ALARM!! Did I mention it was 4:00 AM?? LOL LOL

Unfortunately I got those eyes from the Union Shop & they never tell me when they're on their court ordered breaks, just take off for coffee & donuts without a word.... CRASH!
  12. pjslawncare

pjslawncare Member

Dont feel too bad Snow godfather. Last Thursday I was picking up the kiddos from school in my plow truck when I had to make a U turn rite out front of the pick-up area. Sure as heck, I had to make a three point turn because narrow street and three cars suddenly came up. BAM!! probably that same pole you hit poped up rite behind me. Only diffenence was I had an audience:eek:
    Salt spreader was OK but ego sure hurt.
  13. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

My old boss backed into a large metal light pole in a Wegmans (supermarket) parking lot. Knocked the thing clean over onto some parked customers cars. Lets just say that was the last year he had that contract.
  14. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Oh yeah BRL, I remember many "how did I miss that's"!!!!!!

And the "that wasn't there when I backed up's"!!!!!

Looks like inches and the heart starts a beatin faster.

Glad I am not alone.
  15. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

I found an invisible boulder last night, fortunately I built a bumper guard that goes in my receiver, bent the heck out of that, but didn't touch my pretty chrome bumper.:D
  16. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Had a close call yesterday plowing an entrance to a busy grocery store on Superbowl Sunday. I was plowing into the lot - so I stopped and looked before I backed into oncoming traffic (passenger side of truck)- there was none, so I proceeded. Next thing I hear is a horn, wheel screech and I see a car in my driver's side mirror of a car that swerved into the oncoming traffic lane to avoid hitting me. Didn't see her at all. I didn't think I was tired - maybe just in a daze - or she was in that blind spot. Wow was I lucky. I think I added a year's wear and tear on my heart.

I love plowing - but I hate the close calls where your heart jumps. That's THE worst feeling. You only get lucky so many times.
  17. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Well it sure wasn't invisible cause i could see it gettin bigger and bigger in my rear view as i slid off a hill straight into "the old oak tree"sander hit dead nuts center!cost $200 in parts and about $1000 in pride,i had just finished "preaching" how i never hit anything,never say never:(
  18. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

I know hitting the invisible poles is bad. I saw a guy in a brand new Nissan Maxima on a sunny day in the fall slam into a handicap sign in a CVS parking lot. He got in his car and moved about 3ft forward and took out the whole pole. It pretty much tore his car to peices. I have found that invisible yellow pole once never again.
  19. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I almost crapped my self last night out plowing.
    Drive goes behind house & opens up to 3 garages & a few spots.
    getting between grage & car parked next to house, I thought I was fine next to the car untill *SLAM* & my heart missed a few beats. I actually got out & checked the car relized I was 2-3ft away & the edge just cought a seam in the cement. Lights went on in the house & everything...
    I hate mild heart attacks...
  20. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

As opposed to massive?