1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Inverted v, good or bad?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sven1277, Jan 9, 2009.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Sometimes I'll get some bridging on my Downeaster 1.5yd ss elec vbox. Currently, I have the inverted v at the highest setting and was thinking about adding a vibrator. Yesterday, I was talking with a friend who runs a very large snow operation and he said get rid of the v. I have to take some of the spinner assembly apart and slide it out the feed gate, so before I do that I wanted to get some more opinions on running with or without the v. I run salt/sand mix.

2. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

The inverted V should be at its lowest setting (close to the conveyor). A 200lb vibrator will also help.

3. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I just spoke to tech support at Downeaster, and he also said take it out for sand/salt. Said its needed for bulk salt, not sand.

4. K&N Snow

K&N Snow Member

I think that I would run the inverted V with any product, thats a lot of weight just sitting on the chain.

5. basheroffroad

basheroffroad Junior Member

We run some of our trucks without them and it works alot better no problems with chain breakage at all however we run all gas and hydraulic so I'm not sure if the electric motor will move the conveyor chain with all that weight on it. If their tech support says to do it then do it. also we run salt only for the first half of the season and still leave the inverted v out.

6. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I have now used the sander at least 3 times w/o the invert v and it is much better. I have used both sand/salt mix and straight salt and it was great. I still had the problem of the motor not moving the drag chain the first time I started salting on one storm, but I rotated the spinner backwards for a minute and then all was fine.