1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Inverted tractor blower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mnguy, Feb 6, 2014.

1. mnguy

mnguy Member

I have a questions for you inverted tractor guys, who does the sidewalks for the customers?? Do you send out a sidewalk crew??
  2. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

I think most guys don't do the walks. If you do the bulk of it for them, then most people will take care of their own walk. Its not cost effective to provide that service so most will do it on their own.

Thats how most guys doing the tractor type service can make good money and only charge $10-15 per time (or 300-400 for a season) for small drives, its because they can be efficient and have tight routes. Efficiency is greatly affected by the manual labour side of it.

Why have your tractor sitting idling while you take 5 min to shovel when you could do one or two more driveways in the same time and make use of your machine.

Since I operate in a smaller town, I do provide that service to some customers, and I have a separate guy that does my sidewalks at my commercial sites take care of it at the driveways. The price for shovelling keeps going up each year, as its not something that I want to be bothered with and even as I raise the rate for it I still feel its not a money maker. Essentially I should charge 2x the rate if they want their sidewalk done, but even at that I would still be less than some of the guys that do drives with a plow truck and shovel. The added benefit is there are no piles to deal with by using the blower.