1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Inverted blower with tractor questions...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mnlefty, Jan 14, 2010.

1. mnlefty

mnlefty Senior Member

First let me say I have searched and searched here... I have seen most of the posts by Neige, Blowerman, and others with their 100hp tractors and Pronovost blowers, and I do think it is the ultimate driveway machine in tight areas... But the cash outlay is large... very large. So I have a list of questions that hopefully some can get answered...

1. I know there are other manufacturers of inverted blowers, but it's hard to find info on any besides Pronovost and Normand... what else is out there? Where can I find them?

2. Does anybody have a smaller inverted blower tractor setup? Does anybody make an inverted blower that can be run effectively on a tractor with 35-50 HP?

3. Any idea what 75+ HP tractors would cost to rent monthly? Has anybody ever kicked around the idea of buying the blower, pronovost or other, and renting the tractor for the season?

4. I've seen a few of the posts detailing the number of average residential drives per hour or per tractor, but I'd like to hear more. For the guys that run tight condensed routes with the big tractors, what timeframe would you be looking at if your route was 100+ driveways with a total route distance of 6-12 miles?

5. Does anybody running tractor/blower setup on residentials also put out shoveling crews for walks and the last little strip in front of the garage? What type of premium can you charge for this vs. the blow and go service?

Just some thoughts I'd love to hear answers on. Like most others here, the front mount plow still dominates my area. However, the efficiency of the tractor setup apparently can't be beat, and I also think that the cleaner finish of the blower could take customers very quickly (especially high end) from the plow guys without having to undercut price.payup

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  2. Neige

Neige Sponsor

You are right on with that statement, Years back ther were lots of towns being done with plows, once the blower came into action, it was join em, or loss em.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  3. mnlefty

mnlefty Senior Member

Thanks Neige. In a past post somewhere I think I recall seeing you plan on 15 years from your tractors... what do you feel is the life expectancy of your Pronovost blowers?

4. Neige

Neige Sponsor

They can get banged up pretty hard. Somewhere between 5 and 10 years, if you are any good at welding, 10 years is possiable. Just sold a 12 year old blower for 2400 CDN. As long as they are stay straight, theyare worth something.

5. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

I'm a fan of the PXPL Pronovost, I don't own one but I will someday.

6. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blower etc.

A lease purchase of a 4 wheel drive cab tractor may be an option for you which would save
    capital and then you could buy the blower and have the benefit of a long term maintenance agreement and an extended warranty.

There is a lot of iron for sale in the lower fourty eight states from trade in pieces, lease returns and machinery dispersals due to bankruptcies and retirment auctions and the sales of demonstrators by dealers too.

www.tractorhouse.com is one place with a lot of iron offered by dealers, with a bimonthly or monthly publication news paper.

www.agweekly.com is another, and there are several farm auction sites on the web as well.

leon:sleeping: