1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by valleyviewlawns, Mar 3, 2015.

1. valleyviewlawns

valleyviewlawns Member
    from Montana

Does anyone track their ice-melt, sand, and liquid de-icers as inventory for bookkeeping purposes? Or just an expense like fuel, snow shovels, etc.?
  2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

If it's a material/expense I track it, by doing so I understand operating cost and gives an idea of how much you need for the up coming season season. Knowing salt/melt usage you can order pre season and possibly save some money by doing so depending on your supplier.
  3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

It's not really inventory; it's more of a supply item since you are consuming it as part of the job. Technically you would treat it as an asset at your year end, but unless it's a material figure (ie: over $1,000) , it shouldn't be an issue to expense it.

A good example is the gas left in your truck tank at year end; you would not treat that as inventory.
  4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We buy our bulk salt and liquid from a supplier so we rarely have anything left at the end of the year, in fact zero bulk salt and I try to empty out our liquid storage tank the last couple storms. If we had any measurable amounts left I would probably still expense it out. I don't see how something like salt can be an asset or inventory other than for your own knowledge.
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

As a expense like gas, oil, insurance.
    I don't sell my customer a ton of salt.
    I sell what a ton of salt does.
  6. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

What he said.
  7. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

If it's a direct cost to the service you are performing ie a "raw material" wouldn't that make it COGS?