1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Introduction, with questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by gosettij3, Jan 29, 2011.

1. gosettij3

gosettij3 Junior Member

Hi, my names Jordan im from the providence Rhode Island area, and have been interested in getting a truck for a while now and am finally ready to do so, I know it is late in the season now but I would like a plow for the truck. I can make money doing it and I have alot of fun doing it, I dont have much plowing experience but I have plowed with a 4 wheeler with a mini plow on it, and I also have used a jeep wrangler with a myers 7 foot plow on it for a few snow storms. Basically my questions are that I konw of course the bigger the truck the better but I dont want to go too big because it will be my only vehicle also. I would like to do alot of residential plowing and also I could probably get jobs for storms from a town nearby me, and some commercial. A one ton truck is not in the question, I would consider a 1/2 ton if I was sure id be able to do what I want with it and not have an issue. I was thinking a 3/4 ton truck, between a dodge ram 2500(2002-2006), chevrolet silverado 2500hd(2004-2007), or a f250 (2004-2006). Also of course im getting 4x4, I am going to get auto trans. and im looking for a crew cab truck, for the extra space, with a regular 6.5 foot bed. Which truck is better for my idea?, what do you reccommend and why?could i reasonably plow commercial and streets with a 3/4 ton? could i get a v plow, what would be some advantages to that, and what type of cost would i be looking at?
    I am just trying to enter into the business so any help would be greatly apperciated.!!!
    Thanks Jordan
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

every one of your questions has been asked and answered a thousnad times
    READ the posts or use the search button
  3. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Welcome Jordan
    First is bigger isn't allways better.
    But for what you want to do a 3/4 ton should work just fine. If your going to get into any commercial stuff don't go with a half ton. The drivetrain components on the 3/4 tons are stronger and will hold up better. As far as a 1 ton, You can get an F-350 that is the same size as an F-250. It just hase a heavier payload, but as far as thier physical size, really isn't any difference, unless you get into the duallies.
    Now as far as which is better GM, Dodge, or FORD, It's which ever you like best. Guys will argue that one is better than the rest, but the truth is the best ones are the ones that dont give you any trouble.

What you need to do is go and look at each one and see which one feels the most comfortable to you as you will be spending a lot of time in the seat, since it will be your only vehicle you want something comfortable. And one that is in your price range. You allready have a good start, you know you want a crewcab,4x4 with auto trans and short bed, Now if your bying new when you get to the dealer just tell them what your looking for, They may try to talk you into something else but just stick with your decision on what you want.

Now as far as what plow. Well thats also as controlversal as what type brand truck. I myself have never plowed with a V plow, however I know many guys who have, from what they tell me in a wet heavy snow you can't beat em because your first pass you can split it and push both ways as this helps keep them from sliding sideways. also of there is a big area that you are doing where you need to carry snow you can invert it to make it act as a scoop. A drawback to them is added weight on the front suspension, and more components on the pump.

I hope this will help you, and good luck.
  4. gosettij3

gosettij3 Junior Member

Thank you very much geer hed, I have been doing alot of searching around for the past few weeks and I just wanted to get some peoples oppinions first hand as for why they prefer there truck and such. I really like the look of all of the trucks im considering, I feel that the dodge and chevy are more comfortable and I might end up going with the chevy, as I do have auction access and will be getting a used truck but for a good price. If anyone else has any input on there truck/setup and comments it will still be very appreciated. Thanks Jordan
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Ford with a V blade