1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

introduction, and a technical question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by snowblazer, Oct 11, 2009.

1. snowblazer

snowblazer Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

Hello everybody, my name's Nathaniel, and I'm glad to have found this site! :waving:

First off, here's the story so far. While working on the grounds crew of a golf course for the last 3 years I got the idea to start slowly buying equipment in order to mow a few lawns myself as side work. Then last summer I found a 1986 Chevy K-5 Blazer Silverado w/ 4x4, a crate 350, and a Meyer's plow (maybe 7.5'-8', not sure).

This brings me to the technical problem. The plow worked fine when I bought it, and used it on some friends, family, and acquaintance's residential drives, but towards the end of the season it began to act funny. It would turn left as I raised it, but would still turn right when the switch was hit, and otherwise worked normally most of the time. So this season I hooked it up early to give me time to diagnose, and fix the problem before the season breaks. Now, however, it's not returning to the right at all, and is stuck so far left that it's tearing up the bumper, and won't raise all the way! This is a serious problem, because my boss at the golf course is trying to get me to clear the country club parking lot for them this year. I really don't want to pass this up due to the fact that my boss is going to show me how to plow the lot as he did the previous year (their dump truck broke down apparently) Even if this is the only thing I do all winter, at least it's a good start IMHO.

I asked the shop mechanic at work, and he told me to replace the upper (green) solenoid, but that didn't do the trick. Even tried forcing the plow back with it braced against something pushing with the truck, as someone suggested. Still no good. so what does it sound like the problem might be :help: ?

Otherwise, I am going to drive it in tomorrow, and have the mechanic at work take a look at it. If that doesn't work, there is a place that will work on it for me, but they charge 60/hr, and it's "when they get around to it"

So any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated :drinkup:

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

3. snowblazer

snowblazer Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

Thanks! I didn't expect anyone to reply so quick... and I forgot to ask, what's the best hitch mount spreader as far as well working, and long lasting? (sorry for the bump :eek: )

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Get some Meyer's hydra-flush and run it through the system, then drain and re-fill it.
    May have a stuck valve.