1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Introducing BEET HEET

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Juice Induced, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Juice Induced

Juice Induced Member

Hello Everyone!

My name is Denver Preston. Some of you know me as Juice Induced. I’m the General Sales Manager of Winter Products for K-Tech Specialty Coatings, Inc. K-Tech is located in Ashley, Indiana. Ashley is located about 15 miles south of the Indiana/Michigan state line, and about 15 miles west of the Indiana/Ohio state line.

K-Tech is the developer, manufacturer, and sole distributor of BEET HEET. BEET HEET is a new deicer that we began developing in 2009. For the last 2 years we have been actively refining it. From the very beginning, our goal was to develop the best performing deicer in the country. What I mean when I say “best performing” is this, a deicer that melts the most amount of ice in a 60 minute time period and provides the best anti-bonding and residual effect available.

Last year, when we introduced BEET HEET to the market, we devoted the majority of our marketing efforts towards state DOTs, county highway agencies, and municipalities. After a hugely successful year, it’s now time to reach out to the commercial snow removal contractors. What better way to do that then to sponsor PlowSite and directly interact with deicer users on a regular basis?

I have been following PlowSite for a couple of seasons now. I’m extremely impressed by the knowledge and hands on experience that is represented on this site. I have recommended PlowSite to many, many public works directors and superintendents over the last two years. No disrespect to these winter maintenance professionals at all. But I tell them if they want to learn about the latest products, strategies, or techniques, they need to be studying the content on PlowSite on a regular basis!

I would like to introduce BEET HEET by saying that we wholeheartedly believe that we have achieved our goal of developing the best performing deicer in the country. I realize that this statement can be controversial. However, we have over 100 ice melt capacity studies and a large number of very experienced clients who concur with our opinion and our performance statements.

Does this mean that we are going to disrespect other proprietary deicers on the market? Absolutely not! Through our extensive testing of competing products we recognize that there are a number of very formidable deicers on the market. It’s not our intent to criticize other proprietary deicers. In fact, we won’t do it. We also realize that there will be some who will never agree with our point of view and will never try, like, or use it. That’s O.K. with us. We would rather discuss the virtues of our product with the folks who are sincerely searching for the right deicer for them.

There are times that our customers want to know how BEET HEET stacks up to a deicer that they are currently using, or one that they are contemplating using. In most cases, we have that data available and can discuss it privately. There are many more cases where we are asked about generic deicers such as untreated salt, unenhanced sodium chloride brine, and calcium chloride and natural brines. Because they are generic products, we can openly discuss them.

For this initial posting, I have attached our 17 page BEET HEET Booklet that you can download and study at your convenience. After reading it, please feel free to contact me with questions. I’ll do my best at answering them in a timely manner. There will be times that I won’t be able to do that. We are currently experiencing a huge influx of new customers and need to allocate our time accordingly. Please feel free to email me directly at dpreston@ktechcoatings.com. You can also call our corporate office during regular business hours at (260) 587-3888. I’m hoping that you will become one of those new customers as well, so I’ll be very glad to speak with you! You can also view our BEET HEET Performance Presentation video for more performance data.

Without further ado, here is our BEET HEET Booklet, parts 1 & 2 of 2, for your review. As questions are posted, I’ll do my very best to answer them. Thank you for your time, and have a fantastic season!

Sincerely,

Denver Preston

Attached Files:

2. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Looks great, Denver!

:D

3. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Thanks Denver. The Brinemaker goes to Mike at the City of Joliet Friday morning. They will be making brine Friday afternoon. I haven't had a chance to see they're setup yet, but will soon. I'm interested in seeing how they are going to mix the brine with your concentrated product.

4. Juice Induced

Juice Induced Member

Kubota, needless to say, I'm glad that it's working out for Mike. Your low cost, high output, brine maker, has made all of this possible for Mike and his city.

We developed BEET HEET as a concentrated deicer that could be blended with very low cost, self-manufactured sodium chloride brine to create a deicer that would:

• melt more ice than 32% calcium chloride
    • be less expensive than 32% CaCl2
    • be 82% less corrosive than 32% CaCl2
    • provide substantially better anti-bonding effect
    • provide much better residual value

As with all BEET HEET Concentrate customers, we have recommended blending BEET HEET Concentrate with his brine 50/50, although it can be blended at rates of 40/60 and 33/67 with very satisfactory results. A 50/50 blend will give him what we refer to as BEET HEET Severe. This deicer is a fantastic deicer, anti-icer, or pre-wetting agent.

As a pre-wetting agent, BEET HEET Severe treated salt, applied at 7 gallons per ton, @ 25°F, melts 48.73% more ice than untreated salt melts. With performance like this, Mike will be able to back his salt application rate back by 32.77%. If he backs his salt application rate back by 32.77%, that means that for every 3.05 tons of salt that he applies to his streets, he will be saving 1 ton of salt.

What does all of this mean? Mike is going to have about $0.67 per gallon in his self-blended BEET HEET Severe. That means that it will cost him $4.69 to treat 1 ton of salt with BEET HEET Severe. It will cost him $14.31 to treat 3.05 tons of salt ($4.69 x 3.05 tons = $14.31).

This is the reason that BEET HEET is becoming so popular. For every $14.31 that Mike invests in BEET HEET Severe and brine, he will save the value of 1 ton of salt!!! If his city is paying $70.00 for 1 ton of salt, he will save a net amount of $55.69 ($70.00 - $14.31 = $55.69)!!! For every $14.31 that he invests in BEET HEET Severe and brine, he’s going to save $55.69!!! However this is only half of the story.

At 15°F, BEET HEET Severe treated salt melts 94.81% more ice than untreated salt, and at 5°F, BEET HEET Severe treated salt melts 144.93% more ice than untreated salt!! At 25°F, he is saving a huge amount of money on salt. At 15°F, and 5°F, he’s melting substantially more ice. At 15°F and 5°F, Mike isn’t so worried about saving money. He’s more concerned about melting ice!! Self-blended BEET HEET Severe is giving him, and all other BEET HEET Severe users, exactly what they want, big savings and incredible performance!

5. salopez

salopez Senior Member

do you have a distrobution system set up for the mid-atlantic? i am very interested.

6. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

What's the availability of beet juice this year? I heard it was a pretty bad sugar beet harvest.

7. Juice Induced

Juice Induced Member

salopez,

We are serving Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and Western New York this season. We will be working on extending our distribution area in this coming off season. Contact me at dpreston@ktechcoatings and I'll quote you a delivered price to your facility.

Denver

8. Juice Induced

Juice Induced Member

dfd9,

There is definitely a shortage of beet juice and other beet by-products this season. We have plenty contracted. I can't speak for other companies.

Denver

9. wysongdog

wysongdog Junior Member

wyoming?

Any chance of anything for wyoming? I'm fairly new to salting etc. I've been plowing snow forever but know there has to be ways to improve.
    thanks Bryan

10. Juice Induced

Juice Induced Member

Wysongdog,

Sorry, I really don't foresee our company servicing Wyoming. I can't predict what the future might bring, and I'm not saying that you won't see a BEET HEET product in Wyoming at some point. For the foreseeable future, we will be concentrating all of our efforts in the great lakes region.

Denver

11. wysongdog

wysongdog Junior Member

Ok thank. I kinda figured as much.

12. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member

Do you have a location in Chicago

13. Juice Induced

Juice Induced Member

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW,

We deliver directly to the Chicagoland area. Email me directly at dpreston@ktechcoatings.com, with your delivery address and the maximum number of gallons you can take per delivery, and I will get you a price quote today. Our maximum legal load is about 4,700 gallons. Thank you for the inquiry.

Denver

14. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member

I am looking for treated salt I can buy by the ton as needed

15. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

What distributor in Western NY is closest to Dutchess County please?I'm talking your product on salt ready to sell.

16. Juice Induced

Juice Induced Member

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW,

Our plant is 177 miles from downtown Chicago. You might want to consider visiting our plant in Ashley, Indiana and just buying a 250 gallon tote of BEET HEET Concentrate. 250 gallons will treat 50 tons of salt. If you like it, which you will, you can by larger quantities in the future. We have on contractor who drives quite a bit farther than 177 miles to buy BEET HEET. 250 gallons of BEET HEET Concentrate, with a tote with fill charge included, will cost $297.50, plus tax. If you need a tote, we sell used totes for $125.00 each.

Denver

17. Juice Induced

Juice Induced Member

tuney443,

We don't have any distributors in western New York. We service that area from our central office with our own trucks. We own about 100 trucks and trailers. Our philosophy is this, if we can service the area without a distributor, our customer saves money. No middleman = lower pricing for all customers who are able to take full loads (4,700 gallons).

In essences, if you can take full loads, you're buying it factory direct and getting it at a factory direct wholesale price. As we get established in these states, We believe that partnerships will form, making it possible to buy smaller quantities locally.

Denver

18. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

Are you servicing the grand rapids mi area and what is the per gallon price.

19. SNOMACHINE

SNOMACHINE Senior Member

Denver,
    By treating the salt with this would this help it from freezing and building a crust on it? Also how much would this cut down our salt usage. Right now i use about 350 - 400 tons per year. Also if you could email me your info and pricing since i'm only about 100 miles from you in indiana (snow.machine@live.com).

Thanks
    Brandon

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  20. Juice Induced

Juice Induced Member

Brandon,

Thanks for your inquiry. Treating salt with BEET HEET Concentrate will keep your salt from freezing and clumping, assuming that you're storing your salt inside, or have it properly covered and protected. Salt that is treated with BEET HEET Concentrate will actually form a 3/4" protective coating over the entire salt pile. This coating actually envelops the pile and protects it from drawing moisture and then clumping and freezing when the temperatures drop below freezing. We just treated 15,000 tons for a customer in Ohio.

If you took a full tanker (4,700 gallons), it looks like we could get it to you for about $1.14 per gallon. Let me give you a scenario that might help you determine if buying BEET HEET at $1.14 per gallon is worthwhile for you.

At 25°F, BEET HEET Concentrate treated salt, at 5 gallons per ton, melts 65.19% more ice, in a one hour time period, than basic untreated salt. That means that you could back your salt application rate down by 39.46% and melt the same amount of ice as untreated salt. If you back your salt application rate down by 39.46%, you will save one ton of salt for every 2.53 tons of BEET HEET treated salt that you apply!

Treating rock salt with 5 gallons of BEET HEET Concentrate will cost you $5.70 ($1.14 x 5 = $5.70). It will cost you $14.42 to treat 2.53 tons ($5.70 x 2.53 = $14.42). If you’re paying more than $14.42 per ton for your salt, you will save money by using BEET HEET Concentrate at $1.14 per gallon! For example, if you’re paying $64.42 per ton for your salt, you will save $50.00 in salt for every $14.42 that you invest in BEET HEET Concentrate ($64.42 - $14.42 = $50.00 NET SAVINGS)! Now, this example is only part of the story!

At 15°F, BEET HEET Concentrate treated salt melts 153.25% more ice than untreated salt! You could back your salt application rate down by 60.51% and melt the same amount of ice as untreated salt! However, we do not recommend doing that. Why? At 15°F you’re not as worried about saving money as you are about melting ice for your clients. We recommend staying at the 39.46% lower application rate and just picking up a substantial amount of performance at the lower temperatures! By the way, at 5°F, BEET HEET Concentrate treated salt melts 231.88% more ice than untreated salt.

If you need references, call your local street department! BEET HEET is being used by townships, counties, and cities all around you! The Ohio Department of Transportation will be using BEET HEET Concentrate in a number of districts as well!

Sincerely,

Denver Preston

dpreston@ktechcoatings.com