1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Intro & Question..

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mezavic, Sep 17, 2008.

1. mezavic

mezavic Junior Member

Hi all,

I've been reading lots from this site. Very helpful... I notice how some of you are able to specify which plow/blade to get for a truck and what's recommended by auto brand. Where do you get that info? I have a '96 Ram 2500, regular cab/long bed and not sure if I should put a 9.5 or 8.5 MVP. I will be looking this year to get big lots if possible. Last year was brutal and that's why I'm considering the MVP. I just want to find out if the 9.5 size will wear the truck quicker.

2. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

hey mezavic,
    a snoway would make a great plow for that truck they have a V plow too if thats what your looking for i see your in colorado come see me and i can help you out.

and welcome to plowsite
  3. mezavic

mezavic Junior Member

Thanks... will keep that in mind! I see they are not as heavy.
  4. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

yeah the 8.3 steel blade weighs about 810 lbs
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Welcome to the site. Definatley go check out the new Sno-Ways. They have ALOT of advantages the other plows don't. Whatever plow you buy....make sure the dealer support is good.
  6. mezavic

mezavic Junior Member

Thanks hydro_37,

Yes, that's definitely a point to keep in mind. Unfortunately, not a lot of snow-way plow support where I live. I would have to travel to Denver for repairs I imagine. not soo good. BTW- stewie rules!

I'm still wondering if the 9.5 MVP will wear my truck much. I know it depends a lot on the snow load, job type and driving style. I just don't want the truck to break down in the next year or so, I want it to last at least a few more years.
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Weight is the main factor in selecting a plow. Each truck is designed for specific front axle weight limits. You want to determine what your front axle is carrying without any load and this will let you determine how much plow you can carry. This is why a Regular Cab truck with a gas engine can "take" a bigger plow that a Quad Cab with a diesel engine (power is irrelevant, the point is weight). The best way to determine what size plow your vehicle can safely handle is to go to each brand's website. Most will have a feature where you can plug in your truck and get a readout of recommendations. As a general guideline:

1/2 ton, 150 or 1500 truck takes a 7.5' plow
    3/4 ton, 250 or 2500 truck takes an 8' plow
    one ton, 350 or 3500 truck takes a 9' plow

So, the 9.5' is likely a little heavy. You'll probably be ok with an 8.5'.
  8. mezavic

mezavic Junior Member

Thanks Mick!

When I go to plow brand sites and try the 'calculation' tool, plug in the details for my truck, it takes the 9.5 v plows no problem. I've never had a 9'5" plow so the experience is something that the feature will not give me. Your general guideline is helpful... I imagined the the 9'5" is a bit heavy and I know the truck will take it. I guess I'm looking to see if anybody has had any problems with a 9'5" v plow on a 3/4 ton truck?
  9. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

where do you live in colorado we have dealers in the mountians
  10. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 8'6" MVP (the plow in my avatar) and I'm very happy with it. Like you, I also considered a 9'6" but I decided against it because it was getting up there in size and weight.

I intend to purchase a set of wings in the next few weeks so that'll give me all the plow width I should need.

The new Sno Way plows are sweet and I know of two other Plowsite members that have already purchased them.

Boss plows are also one of my favorites and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one of those either.

You've got a lot of choices...make sure you post pictures of whatever plow you decide on!
  11. mezavic

mezavic Junior Member

I service summit county... don't know any place here in the county that sells or works on snoway. Denver is closest... but traffic & weather it's a huge hassle. If for some reason I need repairs or service, it will take me travel time plus scheduling of service. I've been looking at Sno-Way site. The DP system sounds attractive. Which accessories comes with the standard v plow? Trip edge? shoes? etc. They seem like good plows but I'm just worried about a place to service it here. I only have one plow/truck and hoping not to get stuck in the middle of the winter without equipment.

Western & Boss are commonly used here. Along with Meyer. I just decided to go with the Western bc of the accessories and service shops around here. Boss & Western are practically same price!

I think I would go with the 8'5" for a long while... once I get it all set up, I'll post pictures. Nothing like the sweet rides I've seen here though!