1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Intro letter

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by elite1msmith, Jan 21, 2010.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

hey guys:waving:

i contacted a new property manager today, he gave me 3 properties to bid on for lawn and snow,. depending on how those work out, he may or may not give me more.

im wanting to include a basic intro letter, how long my company has been around, my experiance, and what makes us unique to the area vs my compeditors, any one got a copy of something, or any ideas how to start out in the letter? im having kind a brain fart and not liking how my few attemps here start out. "hello my name is....... - to me doesnt sound proffestional.... PM me if you would rather not share your info publicly

thank you

2. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

You could go straight corporate...

(Company Name) is pleased to provide the following quotation for snow removal services for the upcoming 2010/2011 season, as described below."

....or not.

I would address it to the property manager you spoke with. Thank him for taking the time to discuss their snow removal requirements, and per that discussion you are submitting the following quotation for snow removal services as described within....blah blah blah.

I always try to start on a somewhat personal note, and work from there.

HTH

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

With property managers you're better off asking for a time to sit down and talk. You know... learn about them under the guise of telling them about yourself/company. At their (perceived) level of importance they tend to glaze over when given intro letters. Much like everybody they see their time as valuable and would much prefer a conversational meeting and a chance to talk about themselves. I would spend your time developing a glossy brochure, pictures of accounts, equipment etc :mission statement, list of services and a little about the company. Enclose it with all your quotes. Intro letters tend to seem very "High School" format. Hope i've given you something to chew.

4. Westhardt Corp.

Agreed, but it would seem he already had the "first base" chat. Now it's quoting time. It seems past the intro stage. Also, with some property managers, they prefer nuts & bolts to fluff. That's something you have to be able to ascertain from each prospective client--that's the hard part, I've actually heard of property managers that dislike "excessive professionalism" because they perceive it as thought the contractor is capable of doing everything for the PM's client that they do, thus rendering them useless in the grand scheme.

Wait a minute...

:laughing:

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

???

Can't decide whether I'm insulted or not.:blush2:
    Did you call me fluff!
    I think that when you've already made first contact, when you are presenting your quote it never hurts to reiterate what your company is...does...and deserves the opportunity to do, remember that your first contact may not be the (only) one making the decision. l stand by my view that a nice broshure isn't overly flashy but exudes the professional nature of a competitive business.

6. Westhardt Corp.

LOL...fluff. Sorry for the "sharp" words...:laughing:

I agree that providing some supporting literature is key, just don't overdo it with a client that you're already broken ground with. Unless you enclose a bottle of Jack--that should help.

:D

7. big acres

big acres Senior Member

I just had the privelege of meeting with the owner of a very successful marketing firm who created logos and campaigns for big names.

He said things have definetly changed in the past year... mainly due to the economy. People want it short, sweet, at to the point (nuts and bolts). Most of all, they want it honest and are much more clear sighted and able to see through marketing hype... quickly becoming suspicious and moving on to something simple and honest.

8. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

SIMA has some great letters and even a brochure that helps separate a professional quality company from those fly by nighters. Its only $125 to join right now if you use a members name, and I think it was well worth it just to have access to all the knowledge.

9. sprinklertitan

sprinklertitan Junior Member

I just did an intro type letter for the company i work for, passed it out to two different property management firms and got callbacks within a week. I did them in a resume form keeping it short, i put things like contact numbers, mission statement and just gave a brief overview of the company, that seemed to work really well.

10. Westhardt Corp.

It's akin to a resumé--employers generally don't read anything beyond the first page.