1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

intro from long time lurker

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Landmind, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Landmind

Landmind Junior Member
    from Bedford

Hey
    Finally posting after reading on and off at times.
    I've got a solid collection of plows going on, and i want to set up one on my truck

I drive a 86 chevy k30(really a d30 mil truck) Its a beast. It is mechanically sound i have had it for 2 years now and replaced many many parts.
    I have the opportunity to plow for my town on the roads

I have until december 1 to have my truck inspected by the dpw. (yes i know about insurance requirements too)

I have no truck frame mounts, i have 1 meyer/ diamond headgear tube type mount.
    I have one 7'6 western with an electric motor
    I have a 9' fisher speedcaster
    a 8' diamond blade (i posted a classifieds once on it)

I think the fisher speedcaster set up will be the cheapiest and easiest to find and bolt on.

Then make the western pump/ram mount on the fisher headgear and set up some relays to control it.

Thanks for any responses

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How long is this road? Lot of beating on that truck and plow.

3. Landmind

Landmind Junior Member
    from Bedford

Small town, max of 40 mph speed limit on any road.
    I could be put anywhere from neighborhoods to the main st. Roads are in fairly good shape, and i know them all well.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Depending on how many miles you plow you will burn that cutting edge off. Look for a carbide cutting edge.You won't be plowing at 40 mph .

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I plow 3 subdivisions which ends up being about 7 miles of road, GV noted you won't be plowing at any great speed and you'll burn up your cutting edge, all very true.
    I run about 20- 25mph, visibility is an issue with running to fast you'll have snow blowing over the the blade and in to the windshield. I put a 12" wide rubber/conveyor belt on as a deflector which works very well.
    Heat is a killer when it comes to cutting edges, the faster you go the more heat. To deal with the cutting edge wear I welded a 8"X4"X1/2" plate to each end of the cutting edge, this gives me 1" of steel on the leading edge of the cutting edge which reduces the ends from wearing or getting rounded when the plow is following the contour of the road. this proved to be a pretty good way to get even wear and I believe it also helped with overall wear. Last year I wore off about 1 1/4" during the season, I had 10 plow-able events last year.
    If you had access to a stick welder you may what to consider buying a box of "Hard Face" rod and build up the front of the cutting edge (not the bottom), this is the same rod used to create wear pads on dozer blades and loader/excavator buckets. I havn't gone there yet but at $60-70 for a 5pound box it's cheap in comparison to a carbide edge and should a cost effective way to give you better wear.

6. Landmind

Landmind Junior Member
    from Bedford

Thanks for the info, across town is probably 5 miles

I can drive slow, no problems there.

7. Landmind

Landmind Junior Member
    from Bedford

D'oh the western is 6'6"

Any chance this electric motor is capable of lifting a 8 or 9 foot plow?

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Do you knowing the model of the pump/motor should give you an idea of what it's capable of doing, I'd contact a Western or a Western dealer to verify. In theory it should but if it's old and designed for a 6.6ft you may have problems.