1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Intro and a few questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by petenj, Mar 30, 2014.

1. petenj

petenj Junior Member

Hi all, my name is Pete and I am 18 years old. I plowed as a subcontractor this season (my truck and plow, paid hourly) and had one hell of a season. I also worked this winter for a company whose main source of revenue is 30 plus tandem axels plowing for the county DOT. So I have had pretty good backround and experience in plowing, and I know this is no joke.

Also I do landscaping when it is not snowing. When not in school (going for an associates in Landscape Design) i work full time for a landscaper, on top of my own accounts.

As a subcontractor I was assigned lots, and these lots were my responsibility regarding snow plowing, making the walks clear, ice management, and snow stacking (loader work). I feel that I could responsibly manage 5-10 small parking lots on my own. By small i mean store fronts, retail locations with 2-3 units, etc. Right now I have a Fisher X Blade, purchased fairly recently and my F250 (03').

Also please nobody suggest for me to do driveways. Way to cut throat in my area, and the only places trucks get stuck/ broken in my area is driveways. i dont want to deal with them, as ive had experience with resi/ commercial.

So here are my questions:
    When do property managers accept bids for snow plowing? Should I start trying to put bids in June? Or October?

Regarding a salter, I am debating between a Fisher Polycaster in bed salter or a low pro tailgate salter. I am not worried about the cost of the units. The polycaster allows me to load with a skid steer bulk salt. Much quicker and cheaper overall. However i would have to make a deal with somebody, which would not be difficult but i dont like to rely on others that have salt bins with loaders. also the polycaster eliminates all my bed space. the tail gate salter has a swing mount option, still giving me full access to the bed so i could store snow blowers and other misc items. but with the tailgate salter id have to hand load in bagged material, much slower and more expensive. id buy it by the pallet as i have a good connection for wholesale salt.

Third question is with insurance. I know id need a general liability policy for snow plowing. 1-2 million. my real question is does my truck need to have commercial auto insurance? Once i register the biz ( i plan to in coming months) i would get a full commercial landscape and snow policy. but if i can avoid getting a commercial auto policy thatd be nice.

Ill take all the help I can get! Also, i hope i posted this in the right section..

2. Drewster2012

Drewster2012 Senior Member
    from Ma

I don't even have a truck yet.. From what I have read numerous times on here. Yes you will need commerical auto insureance I belive u need it to even get commerical accounts. Again this may not be true but what I have read so don't quote me on it

3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Your commercial auto policy covers the damages you do to property / cars / people getting into accidents. Your Commercial broker must be notified that you're plowing and the plow has to be notated, or "scheduled" on the policy for that particular vehicle for the insurance to be validated. Insurance companies look for any reason not to pay out, and from what I was told, that if I didn't tell them that I had a plow on my truck, that if I caused property damage, or an accident with another vehicle, or person, that they had the legal right to deny the claim.

BTW My Commercial Auto policy did not increase in costs after I scheduled the plow to the truck.

4. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I am surprised you don't already have commercial auto policy. I understand not having gl assuming you were covered by the other policy but if anything had happened you probably would have been screwed. You will need commercial auto and the general liability, technically as soon as you start doing business, you should have it for landscaping too not just plowing.