1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Interstate travel?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Brett K, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Brett K

Brett K Member

I may be trading my 99 Silverado 2500 in with the plow. I would be traveling for approximately 70 miles on the interstate. What precautions should I take? Temps have been in the 40s here. Should I attempt it or plan some back roads to be safe.
  2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I always try to avoid the highway, but if you have to use it just go slow and watch the temp. and you should be fine. Is there anywya you can just toss the plow in the bed for the trip?
  3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

if at all possible put the plow in the bed. You will likely overheat if you don;t. 70 miles is along way with ablade on the front- especially when you'll have to drop to 45 or slower to keep the temps down most of the way....
  4. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Don't drive with the blade all the way up and let off the gas as much as possible. Keep a close eye on your engine temps and make sure it doesn't overheat. I drove about 60-65 miles with an 8' MM2 on a '96 Chevy Tahoe when I first bought the plow without any trouble. Just be aware that there is a huge steel mass blocking airflow into your engine compartment.
  5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Your trading it in.....

Who cares....drive it till it stops. Hopefully you make it to the dealer prior to that.

I could drive my truck to California in the Summer with the A/C on and not overheat with the plow on.
  6. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

i would agree with the earlier post and going to california. we go 100 miles north and 100 miles south for snow removal. with the plow on driving 65mph and the only problem i see is the fan runs more which cuts the fuel economy. my truck gets 17 mpg everyday, about 12 pulling a trailer and about 8 with the plow at 65
  7. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

just don't raise the plow all the way.....you should be OK...