1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Internet wire torn up

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snow tracker, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Snow tracker

Snow tracker Senior Member

One of my new guys peeled back about a foot of sod 2 inches deep. There was an Internet wire laid under the sod "2 inches deep". We broke the wire. I told the client we world patch the sod in the spring. He deducted the repair of the line from my last bill. I feel this was unfair as the line should have been buried deeper and if not should have been marked by the installer. Again the sod was only peeled back a foot next to the lot and not very deep. What is your opinion? Am I responsible to repair this line or not?
  2. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I am not educated enough to give you a knowledgeable answer. I am subscribed to see what I can learn from your question. I have a similar problem to yours.
  3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

I would go see what the requirements are per town code for such things. If its not installed correctly, its on them. If it is, its on you. How much did they back charge you on it?
  4. Snow tracker

$110 per push lot. 3 event last billing cycle so the bill was $330. They were charged $140 and change by a local repair company and deducted it from my check.
  5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

2" is far from deep enough, I'd have to think 12" is what they should be so not to be damaged by aerating and irrigation install/maintenance . Call the internet supplier and ask them.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

That's BS.

Call the cable company and complain, now way that's deep enough.

I ripped up a phone line Harley raking one time, didn't have it marked. Never got a bill. The repair guy said I should have had it flagged, I told him it should have been deeper than 3-4". He knew I was right, because he dug a trench 12-16" deep and buried it.
  7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

That's a tough call, chances are your client had nothing to do with the placement of the line and is caught in the middle. Obviously he needs his Internet to conduct business, did you offer to repair it?

140 is cheap, I would have no problem paying it.

How did they fix it? What is the building code? Is it still 2 inch below grade?
  8. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

The cable company (or their third party contractors) lays them like that. They left mine exposed in some spots. My guess is that the cable company is responsible for it. Should tell your client to call them.
  9. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I've torn out one or two in my life :rolleyes: and I've never paid for them when they're that shallow. When the repair guy shows up, I tell him he know's darn well that they're considered low voltage wires (even if they're not) and need to be buried 18" deep by code.

Not sure how to deal with it now, as you're the third party. I guess it depends on if you're willing to lose a customer over the $140........
  10. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

What's the contract say? Are you responsible for damages? I have all damages like this on the client in my contract… will it always hold up… no… but it helps with little BS things like this…

That said, I'd pay for the line to be replaced and move on… how much could the charge be? $150? Eat it and move on…. lesson learned!
  11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What if he hits it again because it isn't as deep as its supposed to be?
  12. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Theres no code depth for cat 5 or 6 direct burial cable but common sense would dictate at least a foot deep.I have a clause for when I'm doing excavation"not responsible for damage to unmarked underground utilities" I don't have xray vision! Never thought this would be an issue plowing!I would just go with the deduction,especially if its a good client.I would tell them this is a one shot deal,its on them from here on out if there's another issue.
  13. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Who fixed it? Who installed it?

That's BS as there is no way that wire was deep enough. We see it quite often where the cable companies lay cable across the lawns or when they bury it, you could get it deeper with an edger. We've hit more than one, when edging we courtesy fix it but leave it above ground and have the cable supplier come back and deal with it.
  14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I would have suggested for him to spend the 140 for a wireless system.

Just say'en
  15. Snow tracker

The client is an architect and this is a private line in between two of his buildings. I think he installed it himself. But that's just a hunch.

They just spliced it and did not bury it. It is still above ground where it was ripped up.
  16. Snow tracker

I called my local building inspector who said they need to be 12" deep.

NEC 830 table 47. I haven't been able to find it online yet but will look more later.

If it is installed wrong it would not be our fault
  17. fhafer

fhafer Member

I'd pay the $140.00, finiish the season, then not renew next year. It's chickenshit,but not worth the fight nor worth keeping them as a client. JMO.
  18. Snow tracker

Well if I am not going to have them as a client then I want my money. Lol the only reason I would give in, would be to keep them happy for the future. At least that's the way I look at things.

He is not asking me to pay, he deducted it from my check. So if I cash the check then I agree to the terms.

Thinking I will return his check with a copy of the National Eletric Code with highlighted parts that pertain to this.
  19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

That would be the best coarse of action to take.
  20. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

I looked and didn't see anything directly related to that type of cable. But it should be at least 12" in my opinion. Go to your town building Dept. For a clarification. Take them a picture. May be a code violation.