1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

International Vs. Powerstroke

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Sticks, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

Other then the Turbo... is there much difference?

Is anyone using a International Diesel?

Pros....Cons......

I was told to stay away from the International Diesels but i want to hear from you guys

tymusic

2. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

than what? international makes powerstroke?

3. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

lol....x2 on what 02 powerstroke says..navistar makes international, international makes the powerstroke motors...except for the 2011 motors, which ford engineered and built

4. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

x2............

5. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

6. 02powerstroke

Its still an International motor its just not the power-stroke motor which was turbo and utilized the HPOP fired injectors. They have less power but are great trucks just alittle less power than the 7.3 powerstroke 94-98 in that body style. then they changed it up a bit with the superduty 99-02. still a 7.3L but different fuel pump intercooler and a different turbo.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  7. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

the term powerstroke wasn't coined until 1994 when the engine was redesigned with a turbo and heui injectors . older international diesel which where in fords where non turbos and used injection pumps . in 1993 turbos where and option most truck didn't come with them .

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  8. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

are they bad motors?

9. Snow Miser

Snow Miser Senior Member

Actually the 2011 motor is basically an international motor. It is made up of international components, but is assembled by ford.

10. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

This is the first time that I have heard this. For my understanding I thought that Ford was going to cut all connections with International.

11. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

I plowed and pulled a trailer for 4 years with a 6.9 with that many miles and a manual transmission. Cost me about 6k in repairs over that time, and paid $6300 for it. That doesn't include regular maintenance an tires. That's $256 a month with some very inconvnient down time when it had to get a new clutch, and then the heads redone, and new glow plugs and glow plug controller. I would think you could buy something newer with less miles and not run quite as much of a risk for hefty repairs. You're still not guaranteed anything with a used vehicle, but I'd take my chances with something with lower miles, find one that you know the work has already been done to.

12. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Ford did cut ties with International. The new 2011 6.7 Powerstroke (code named Scorpion during development) is a totaly in-house, built by Ford from the ground up, diesel.

13. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

and what reliable source do you base this off of? contract is done between ford and navistar so i highly doubt navistar would let for use there components.

14. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

The 6.9 and 7.3 Diesels Ford used from I think 83-93 are an ok engine however prone to overheat under heavy loads and head gaskets much like the 6.2 and 6.5 that GM used. They will hold up fine if you don't push them to hard and let them warm up good before driving in colder weather.

I it's a plow truck You are looking for I would go with the GM 6.2, Starts good in cold weather and very good on fuel and the 73-87 trucks they are in make a excelent plow truck. Can't beet 6.2 and a turbo 400 for plowing imo. But if You have the money I am still parshall to the Powerstroke :) 7.3 Only! the only problem I have with ford is the DTB front axle on the 94-98 (to many Problems and they'll just crack or break.)

15. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

absolutely correct...nowhere on that engine will you find an international part....not even the glowplugs! 100% ford..first of the big 2 to design/engineer their own diesel from the ground up...pretty soon gm will be putting ford engines in there HD's! lol

16. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Built by Ford, Eh? Oh boy, I wonder how many bugs & glitches are gonna be revealed, lol. They should'a kept their ties with International. I still might buy a Scorpion Diesel next year tho! :cool:

17. Snow Miser

Snow Miser Senior Member

My friend who works at ford as a mechanic told me about this. Because when he went to one of ford's tech seminars to learn how to work on this new engine, he told me there were alot of internationals parts in there.

18. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

really cause the last 7 years were nothing but failed motors and warranty problems for ford and navistar..doesnt matter if it was fords fault.. u dont see problems with gm parts on the dirtymax do ya? sometimes you just cant put sugar in your coffee..

19. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

I have 268,000 miles on my F250 IDI. Has been a plow-truck since rolling off the dealer floor. Was up-fitted by Monroe Truck in late 1988 w/ a western plow. Still going strong with a sno-way MT.

I am the second owner, original owner is a close friend. Problems since new.

(2) new sets of glow-plugs and controllers.
    (1) C6 transmission re-freshed with HD kit and larger cooler
    Front end rebuilt 3 times (U-joints, bearings, etc.) No problems with the axles and springs.
    Has had new brakes a few times as well.

No serious problems. Perfect power for plowing in my opinion. Next to no tire-spin and you can push or pull whatever you need.

6.9L and 7.3L engines rarely had head-gasket problems, but you need to keep track of the additives in the coolant to prevent cylinder errosion.

Overall a great and durable diesel design. Noisy, simple, easy to work on and parts are cheap!!!

I love my 08 6.4L TTB but the 1989 IDI is a fun truck to drive, enough power for me every day of the week.

20. 02powerstroke

x2 I know someone that had a 7.3 IDI van with 300k still ticken got better mileage than anything i own...