1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

International Trucks 1986-1995

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by DAFFMOBILEWASH, Feb 18, 2008.

1. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Looking at a few of these trucks. Want advice on what to look out for in this era of truck. Looking at a 1989-1990 juice brake 5 speed with the 7.3 diesel. Going to make a all purpose truck out of it. Are these trucks any good??? What are the weak spots to look out for?

DAFF

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

My first roll-off wrecker was a 95 4700 w/ a Navistar engine...ran great but I had problems with the dash malfunctioning, the glow plugs going out and the air ride seat never worked properly.

I don't know if those are common problems but that's what I encountered. I'd buy one again without question because it never let me down when I was on the road.

Post some pics if you end up buying one...

3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

we have an 89 with air, 5 speed, and 7.3......not a very good set up IMO.......first off 5 speed is not enough gears, you looking at 40MPH @2500 rpm tops, she'll run 55MPH but you'll be cranking 3500rpm, go for a 10 speed or 5 and 2.....the 7.3 is okay pulling itself but if you have any load the 135HP 7.3 is too weak for a medium duty truck, you'll want a DT466! also the ride is unberriably rough at times with full tire pressure...... if you dead set on one let me know i have one in excellent shape....good tires, chrome stack, very nice new paint, set up for goose neck pulling. i'll want $5k for it. only has 100k miles and very low hrs

4. DAFFMOBILEWASH

For Sale!!

Here is the truck in question. it is a 1989.

7.3 litre Diesel, 5 speed, rear air suspension, hydralic brakes (only need G licence). runs great. Ideal for flatbed, add a van box, farm use, or anyone that needs a strong workhorse.
    $2900.00 --BEST (THEY HAD A FEW OF THESE UNITS)

Typicially the U haul units in Canada are maintained very good. Have a few mechic friends which know people who work on them. My Idea is to chop the frame and move the rear axle forward installing a flat deck w/poly tank. Truck would apply salt brime in the winter and a wash truck in the summer.

DAFF

cad3_18.jpg

cac5_18.jpg

5. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Thanks Jay---Perhaps I should stay with the L7000's, really love the one I have. Any other suggestions for a cheap medium duty truck.

DAFF

6. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

being that it's a X u haul the rear is probably different than ours so you top speed would be better and sounds like if you just hauling a chemical tank you should be fine on HP....but remember they only put out about 135hp and were grossing 40k lbs with ours and it's not enough power since these are natural asperated 7.3's.