1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

International Terrastar

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SDLandscapes VT, Jan 25, 2012.

1. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

New truck test driven today

Anyone own one?

Thoughts on plowing?

Experiences?

2. LON

LON Senior Member

waiting on 4x4 to come out. There are quite a few 2wd out there plowing though.

3. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Picture/link?

4. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Im looking to replace my Chev 3500s (3) I would be interested in knowing more about the Terrastar. Should plow well in 2 wheel. Put a sander on the b ack and load it up. Should have posi track though

5. SDLandscapes VT

from Vermont

dealer admitted to me they are struggling with 4x4 and they had seen countless delays. He encouraged me to wait on 4x4 and I drove the 4x2 and I would guess for parking lots or roads you shouldnt have too much problem--waaaay heavier than a 1 ton.

What I m really looking for is real world data--fuel economy, maintenance costs, experience owning and operating this truck

6. LON

LON Senior Member

7. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

Our new terrastar is due in any day now. As soon as we get it will take some pics. We probably won't outfit until next fall. We figure with a sander and plow on it, there won't be a real need for 4x4. We will only be plowing commercial lots with it.

9. SDLandscapes VT

from Vermont

what plow did you go with??

I thought that it would be perfect for a western wideout

10. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I like this one... :drinkup:

IMG-20120110-00610.jpg

11. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

i'd love one like that, but i'f i showed up at a customers house in the summer with a dump truck like that and pulling my 20ft enclosed trailer full of mowers, i'd be getting some "you have to be ripping us off" looks

12. SDLandscapes VT

from Vermont

It's not for summer mowing that is for sure.......

13. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

why because it has 4 grand at best worth of chrome?

14. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Some of you guy DO realize it is a Medium Duty truck right?? Yes it will be heavier then a 1 ton and you should put a Municipal size plow on it pretty sure a Wide Out would curl up into the fetal position on the front of it.

15. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

because there would be more money tied up in truck trailer and mowers then combined income at over half of the places i mow at

16. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I would like to have that !!!!

17. SDLandscapes VT

from Vermont

Nichols--

That thought did cross my mind--the quickmatch did approve the wideout but the 10' heavyweight would be cool as well

18. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Do you guys realize that Almost EVERY big snow removal company has at LEAST one BIG truck?? Think about it...... Its true! This could be that truck. Many people dont realize/ over look the time you save while doing big snow removal accounts with a truck this size. NO more slipping around... and burning gas while just over spinning your tires!
    Theres a guy over here who plows with a International CXT!

19. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd go with a 10 foot Fisher MC or a 10 Foot Boss Municipal, or even the biggest UltraMount because the Western Heavyweight is a UniMount

20. SDLandscapes VT

from Vermont

well I can tell you this for sure it won't be a fisher but the boss I would consider. I used a 10' heavyweight in minneapolis and frankly on the big truck you pretty much leave it on all the time and it is that hard to attach--no ultra mount or minute mount for sure but not the end of the world