1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

International know it all's?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by xtreem3d, Oct 24, 2015.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

morning guys,
    any sharp IH guys take a look at this 04' 7400. It's the only 7400 truck that I have seen ( so far , maybe there's more) with the 2 hatch panels on the hood. Could this be listed wrong/ why do some have panels and others don't? ( the salesman didn't know a lot)
    Thanks
    Steve

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6067305

2. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Were those added in after because they cant open the hood because of the plow mount.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

The plow installers do that. Can't open the hood. Or for easier access with the plow on.

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not a know it all but it may be dyslexia... It may be a 4700.

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Doors say 7400.... it's an American thing

6. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

Yes most muni trucks will have the good hatches when equipped with a large plow/mount because the grill won't allow it to open. Most times the hatches will be over the dip stick and the oil fill.

That's a heavy spec truck, wouldn't be supprised if it had a 3500rds trans.

Good price considering it was probably 120k brand new if not more. Rust is going to be your biggest problem with that truck.

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

That's a lot of work changing hood and paint when adding a plow. Our units, pin two pins on plowside and the pump and headlights swing down to access the hood.

8. LapeerLandscape

On my Volvo the grill stays in place when opening the hood and that opening where the grill is/was goes over the plow frame.

9. xtreem3d

Is your bumper way out front because of that?

10. xtreem3d

PS...so should I assume that the bumpers will be set out farther or the plow mount will be need to be lower in order for hood to open?

Also, sorry to beat a dead horse but how do you think they check engine vitals on this one?
    http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6367211

Finally do any of the "newer" Ih's have the grill that stays in place when you open the hood? mines a 1982 S series and the grill is cut out.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

They do that in ease of checking the fluids with the plow on, hood opens normally. Usually plow on has a light bar, or other things in the way.

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That hood came from the factory that way. It's not that easy to just add them.

13. xtreem3d

This horse is completely mutilated :laughing: but it looks like some trucks have a tilt plow mount...I assume to be able to tilt hood?

14. LapeerLandscape

Yes my bumper is way out front.

15. fireside

fireside Senior Member

They are factory options for checking fluids. They even add longer dip sticks to get them to the hatch locations. Lots of times they also come factory with extended frame rails also for plow frame installation. Newer trucks have a snowplow fixed grill option so they are not needed.

16. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Good deal that's what you want. The hood hatches are a pain

17. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Our 7400 came with the same "butterfly hood" opens right up to the air filter cradle and dipsticks.
    Although the top of the grill is also cut on ours to allow the hood to open completely around the plow ram. Only seen them on DOT trucks as ours was. Also for sale for less $ than that one if you're in the market. 7400 dt466 120k miles plow/spreader included. Went through top/bottom when we got it anything that needed fixing got fixed.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  18. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

check this out if your in the market for a IHC dump. www.auctionsinternational.com Town of Arietta I think its a 04 IHC 7400 nice truck DOT better than what your looking at view all pics. You can pick it up and drive home. Try uship get a quote on delivery Take the lowest bid for mobilization. Huge spread on price. Let me know what you think

19. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Steve,

You keep looking at the online classifieds from dealers. You are going to get bent over on pricing that way. PA Dot just had an auction for dozens of macks and sterlings. ODOT has had 2 or 3 in the last 8 weeks. Look online and go straight to the source and save yourself a truckload of money. I wont post how little we paid for our 4 trucks from ODOT this fall but we got 4 for a song and dance and drove them all home from the yards, 2 of them being 54k gvw tandems. Its stupid to buy from a dealer knowing this.

20. LapeerLandscape

I have to agree, I gave a little over $7000. for my Volvo with the 12 ft front blade (that I made bigger), 12 ft belly blade and the SS hyd under tailgate spreader. It looked to be in better shape then the one your looking at.