1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

International 7300......4x4??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ChicagoSnow, Dec 22, 2002.

1. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Just wondering if anyone has seen a International 7300 4x4 in action?

Looks like quite the severe duty vehicle. What do you think about air-brakes and snow plowing?

How about cost on one of these trucks?

Thanks,

ChicagoSnow

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

ChicagoSnow,
    What is your concern with the air brakes???????

3. ChicagoSnow

In regard to air brakes, is this braking system ok for smaller snow plowing projects where constant start/stopping is the norm(unlike straight/limited stopping street plowing)?

Im not sure where I heard that the air system needs a chance to "catch up" if there is too much continuous braking?

Appreciate the info.

ChicagoSnow

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I had to check IH's website to see what the 7300 is, it looks like the replacement for the 4800. The Town I sub to uses a few of the 4800 4x4s for the mountain runs. They even have a Cummins powered Paystar 5000 4x4, that truck is a BEAST!

There's no problem with air brakes in the snow, as long as you have an air dryer on the truck to prevent freeze up. These are standard equipment on most trucks today.

I think Geoff has mentioned that one of these trucks set up with plow and wing plus sander can run up to $150,000.

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Just saw your reply about the brakes, you won't run the tanks out under normal conditions, if you do, then chances are you have too big a truck for the job. You can also spec bigger air tanks if this is a concern, which will help prevent running the air down.

6. ChicagoSnow

Thanks Pelican

On a side note - your F-550 is a beautiful piece of snow moving machinery!

Actually, I'm trying to come up with a winning truck combination that can be up fitted for a Hooklift/"roll off" body system(hooklift.com) to include a salter very similar to yours with just a little more payload.

What do you think, knowing what you have learned about your F-550 upfit?

ChicagoSnow

7. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

What is IH 's website address?

8. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

9. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I think there was a post about this concern before and it was decided that air brakes will not work in tight spots because you run out of air before the tanks catch up. Ive noticed this even on the garbage truck at work when its getting into tighter spots that it runs out of air and the driver has to sit a minute to let the air rebuild.
    Eric

10. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Well I must say all this talk about airbrakes makes me chime in. First of all, I have a CDL and have been driving air brake vehicles for the last 8 years. Second of all I have a family member who is a Truck mechanic for JEVIC trucking. Chicago if I read you right, you wont be using this for small jobs, that's why you have smaller pickups. As for the stop and go, the newer vehicles have better air systems than that of older air brake trucks. Better in that the compressor is a better quality. The system itself will not have the leaks that most older vehicles experience(age/wear and tear). The only negative that I have experienced is the "feel" of the brakes when stopping on slick/icy roads. For someone not experienced, it can be a bit tricky. This only takes time and the realization that you are in a big vehicle and must drive accordingly.

11. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Chicago,

I'm not sure a combination body would be well suited for a hook lift, I think there might be problems in getting the discharge chute and spinner aligned. Plus, you would not only have the added weight of the hook lift assembly, but also that of the combination body. It may not be a problem during winter months, but for summer hauling you would have a problem with DOT.

My truck is already about 1500 pounds heavier than I had planned, in part due to the stainless steel and part due to the extra equipment of the combination body. This reduced my payload by 20%. It sure does work nice though for sanding!

If you go with the hook lift, I think you'd be better off having a V-box mounted on the rails than the combo body. I'm not sure how you'd mount it though without damaging the chute and spinner. One of the local highway departments has a couple trucks set up this way with a leaf box, dump box, flatbed, and sander, but I haven't seen it up close.

12. ChicagoSnow

Thanks guys!

In regard to the air brake systems, I have yet to drive a truck with this type of braking system or become licensed for it for that matter. The reason I ask is due to the fact it seems it is the only choice for larger trucks?

Pelican,

I think your right about the "V" box for the hook lift body. I thought, as long as the lower spinner/chute is easily removable, one could fabricate two beams or extensions of some kind that extend past the chute end of the salter with rollers on each to create the length needed to properly load/un load a V box via hook lift.

Merry Christmas!

ChicagoSnow