1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

International 550 Wheelloader

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by RLM, Aug 30, 2010.

1. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Does any one know any thing about these. I know there no longer in production & were similiar to Hough's (I believe one in the same). I located one for a good price that appears decent from the pics. But I'm unsure of the size (from the pics apears at least a 4 yd machine), even, let alone anything else. Found a 560, said it was 100,000 machine, w 8.5 yd bucket, which is way to large for snow.

2. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

The 550 would be in the class of a Cat 980C (from the 80's & early 90's), both loaders had around a 5 1/2 yard buckets. Now that 560 would be way to big for ya, it would be comparable in size to a Cat 988B. Largest Dresser loader I've seen in person was the 570.

The old International loaders ( 500 series) were later bought out by Dresser, which was recently changed to Dressta. It's a company I think that is still owned by Komatsu.

The 500 series loaders were very dependable machines, especially the dozer line.

Now in my opinion that 550 is a little on the large side for snow plowing, those big loaders can be a hand full on icy ground due to the very wide tires. I have a co worker that slide a Cat 980G off the road after it became a little slick, he was no rookie.