1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

International 4700 Dump....Help me decide

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Doakster, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Here is a truck that I'm looking at locally.

http://www.unclehenrys.com/CLASSIFI...86296&SearchResultIndex=7&ishistoricsearch=N#

I went and looked at it today. It's got 292,000 Miles, 7.3 IDI motor, Splicer 5 Speed Manual. Overall it look in excellent shape and the high mileage do it no justice. I also talked to the guy and he's had absolutely no trouble with it the last 3 years, and nothing is wrong with it., valve cover gasket leak a little no big deal. Here is some more pics of it. What do you guys things, is it a good deal? The online add is asking 7500 but the price on the sign on the truck is 9500.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I would check out www.truckpaper.com and see how comperable years model an millage are. I know just from looking at a few things he had and i guess this guy has alot up there is that it's pricy.I never thought that it was a good idea to have a smaller 7.3 in a bigger truck just seams like it woul be under powered to me also looks like the covers are leaking and what about the rear main seal I know mine leaks on my van with over more than half the millage.

4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

The first roll-back wrecker I owned was a 1997 International 4700. It had the 444 engine. It ran okay and it never let me down but if I had to do it over again I would've looked for a unit with the 466 engine. HUGE difference in power and performance.

Common problems with those trucks are that the dash will stop working and the glow plugs will fail.

5. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Truckpaper looks like a great site. I'm not worried about the valve cover gaskets, that's no big deal for me to fix.

You mean the cause of the GP failing will because it is related to the dash failing or they are too different problems.

GP replacement/repair is no big deal for me to handle, but the dash that's another story.

6. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I think its a great looking truck. The engine will be very slow but worst case, with the condition that the rest of the truck is in, you could swap in a different engine if the IDI doesnt cut it.

7. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Two separate problems. When my dash stopped working the shop I took it to knew the price of a replacement right off the top of his head because he had done so many! In talking to other guys who've had the same truck they experienced the same issues.

8. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

I asked the guy about power and he pretty much stated what I expected, fairly slow but it will tow anything and go the same speed if it is loaded or unloaded.

Well that sucks to here. How much was the dash replacement. We talking about the whole dash/speedo?

9. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Yep, it was the whole dash...tach, speedo, fuel, temp, ect...

I can't remember the exact price I paid to have it replaced but it was less than $1k. Nothing too serious but still it wasn't a part I expected to replace...

10. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

Like Camden said, I would look for one with a dt466. I have a dt in my truck with a allison auto and it's kinda sluggish compared to the stick model, but has plenty of power. JMO the 7.3 or 444 are way under powered in these trucks.

11. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

my thoughts exactly...ive driven both and theres a considerable difference

12. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the input. I know the 7.3 IDI is not a power house but really I would probably only use this truck maybe a dozen times per year. And even with what I might spend I think I would pay a little more for a DT466.

How about the fact this is a 5 speed manual, any thoughts on how much of a difference that would make behind the IDI?

13. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

in all reality the trucks going to be fine hauling material around just not loaded full or hauling bigger equipment but it will be better on fuel. ive seen the dt444 in tow trucks that should have the 466 and theyve hauled the same weight behind them so even if only a few times it gets maxed out the truck will work through it

14. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I have a 90 4700 with a dt360 and a 5sp manual. My dt360 is definately lacking power, but it gets the job done. The 7.3 would have to be annoyingly slow. You'll be using the hazard lights/4 ways a majority of the time driving the truck. :) If you can deal with it, then it should be a good, reliable truck.

My truck with the 5 sp trans will do 58 mph topped out, to give you an idea of what to expect.

15. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

Thats a lot of miles, one mechanic looked up the 7.3 maint guide on a Ford I was looking at once and said it only goes up to 140,000 miles, his point being thats all Ford was expecting to get out of it. Truck looks good, the dump body looks to be in very good shape, doesn't look like that is original. I have 5, 4700's and they are very dependable, I have one low pro that I bought used with over 120,000 on it and that has been my biggest head ache, but is still dependable small things like leaks and brake issues, haven't touched the motor or tranny. No problems with dash boards.

16. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Thats the first time I have heard that.

I cant find it anywhere but I read on the International website somewhere that the T444E (powerstroke) engine has a 90% chance of getting to 250,000 miles before any major mechanical failures and then a 70% chance of making it to 350,000 miles before any major failures. These failures are not blown engine type failures, they are water pump, GPR type issues so nothing big.

If I remember that site where I read the info, I will report back.

17. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Wow that is pretty slow.

But like I said when I asked the guy how it drove, he stated it pulled just as hard fully loaded as it does unloaded. That exactly what I would expect out of a truck like this and based on my experience with 7.3s

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  18. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

I don't recall anything like that either. I have heard of a few T444Es that have hit the 500,000, 750,000 and even the million mile mark with out a major overhaul.

Anything around 200k on a T444e is nothing these days. Granted we are not talking about the T444e in this truck, it has the Navstar 7.3 Non Turbo IDI. Really it's the same basic motor.

I'm not as concerned about the 292,000 on the motor as I am the rest of this truck.

19. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm going to look at and drive the truck tomorrow....we'll see how it goes.

20. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

So Fellas....How do you think this truck will be in the snow being a 2WD