1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

International 4300 ?'s

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by sle, Nov 23, 2010.

1. sle

sle Member
    from midwest

How is everybody doin? I have some questions in regards to the model listed above.
    WHy are the 2004-2006 models going for $25000 in up with over 200,000 on the clock?
    One would think that buying something with that milage is aking for trouble.
    Are they that durable(engine and trans)?
    The reason why I ask is because I am in the market for a nicly used 25500 gvw truck.
    If you could please fill me in as to their high resale value that would be great.
    Thanks Shanne.
  2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

It all depends on what it comes with and what kind of condition it is in, but yes, those trucks will go 500,000 mile plus without any major work, given that they are treated right. I've run these trucks year after year in the towing industry as well as the trucking industry. They have their own issues mind you, but they're a good truck overall.
  3. paponte

paponte Senior Member

DT466 with and Allison you really can't beat. I think that's a little pricey for those kind of miles. You should be able to find something with under a hundred for about $30k and change.
  4. sle

sle Member
    from midwest

Thank you gentlemen for your quick responce.
    And your right RepoMan207, I do see alot of those trucks running around with
    flatbeds hauling cars.
    It seems from both your answers that these trucks are built better than a comparble
    Thanks again
  5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Alot of the 4300's you see are Penske box truck conversions.
    If you notice many will have new dump bodies or hooklift systems.
    Just be certain to have a mechanic thoroughly look over anything you decide to buy.
  6. Sabsan84

Sabsan84 Senior Member

Well, it depends, these trucks can be a toss up...they have typically throw away engines, ie, they a good for about 250k with minimal trouble, but they start acting up after 100k, which is why the rental companies always seem to get rid of them around that time. They are not true heavy duty trucks, you would be surprised to see they are not built much if not any better than a F550,lol. Yes, you can go 500k, and we have,but by then they are all wore out and a real dog, that is treating them nice over the road type driving. Construction application, forget it, 250k and its time for overhaul. See for yourself, alot of overhauls at that time for vocational trucks at the dealer. You are better off finding a ex single axle small class 8 day cab tractor and converting it, that truck is built better. But not a medium duty cdl beater...good luck
  7. sle

sle Member
    from midwest

Thanks again JohnnyRoyale and Sabsan84.
    You bring up a good point. I was thinking the same thing with that many miles. MAybe I need to bite the bullit and spend $35000 + to get somthing with lower miles.
    But first I need to sell off one of my machines.Anyone intrested in a new holland tractor??:rolleyes: