1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Intermittent trun signals

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RMHSR, Dec 28, 2010.

1. RMHSR

RMHSR Member

While plowing yesterday in between lots I noticed my turn signals stopped working. I stopped at the parts store thinking I blew a fuse, I found no blown fuses and then they started working again. Went down the road and they quit again. When it is acting up I have no right or left turn signal or 4-way flasher. Brake lights and back up lights work. Truck is a 04 Silverado 2500. When I had time to try to trouble shoot the problem it starting working again. When working they flash at a normal speed. I thought flasher unit but it is $75-90 for the heavy duty flasher. I don't want to waste money by guessing. I was going to try to unplug plow and see if that fixed it but they worked when I was going to do that. Any ideas? I am stumped.

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I would guess the Multifunction switch in the steering column. GM's have been known to have issues with these.

Pricey sucker, so if it's the problem, I'd go to a salvage yard and get one from there.

3. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Blinker fluid

4. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Sorry couldnt resist :D

5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

LOL, I was going to say they are supposed to be intermittent, that's kind of the whole point ;)

6. RMHSR

RMHSR Member

I never thought of blinker fluid. It all makes sense, the fluid level is below the pick up tube.

7. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

i had a 2003 2500hd that did the same thing it was the turn/hazard module (flasher) it is a square box not like the old round flashers it does both the t/s and haz which is why they both quit. do u plow with your hazzard lights on? if so this is heating up the module causing it too quit remember the plow adds more flashing lights making the module work harder

8. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

9. RMHSR

RMHSR Member

I don't run the flashers, I have strobes in place for that. I understand the heating theory but only time it is on is driving from lot to lot. Gotta love electronics!! On the multifunction switch, does that run the cruise control too? I have noticed that it didn't work recently when it has in the past.

10. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Lets start with basics and check ALL lights for proper function AGAIN. Brakes included.

11. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Not exactly sure with your year of truck. On mine it controls the hazards, turn signals, etc. If your cruise switch is on the lever too, than it very well could be the problem.

[​IMG]

12. RMHSR

RMHSR Member

Thanks for the help. Makes sense and I talked to the dealership and they said they use to sell them once a week. Pictures make everything better.

13. RMHSR

RMHSR Member

Finally got the truck to the shop to try to troubleshoot the flasher issue. I figured it was going to be the multifunction switch and the cause of the trouble is the fuse block. They went to the fuse to check for power and when they moved the fuse the flasher started working. The terminals are very positional. There was heat marks on the fuse showing that it has been a bad connection for awhile. I looked at some of the other fuses and they are showing the same thing. It is engineered for now and I ordered a new fuse block and hopefully I can make it to spring before I have to tear it down. It doesn't look like the easiest thing to replace.