1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Intermittent Trouble With Fisher Homesteader - Do Homesteaders have a filter?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Chaldaean, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Chaldaean

Chaldaean Junior Member
    from NH

I’ve searched through threads regarding similar issues, but am unsure of the next step.

Brief background:
    - Bought a used Homesteader on Craigslist (plow only) and I do not know the history
    - Installed brand new wiring/mount/fishstick on a 2003 Jeep Wrangler, so the truck-side wiring is new and in good shape.
    - Cleaned the plow-side connectors (paying particular attention to the 3-prong connection) and believe that all connections are acceptable (not corroded).
    - Drained reservoir (sucked fluid out of the fill hole – did not remove/drain pistons) and filled with Fisher fluid
    - Installed new motor
    - I only use the plow for my driveway and have only plowed 5 times so far

- Intermittently, the plow will become unresponsive and will not move up, left or right. The motor will run, but the plow will not move.
    - Once, when I angled “left”, the plow moved “right” instead (it could be vice-versa; I can’t recall)
    - There is a small amount of fluid that overflowed passed the fill cap on the reservoir. I could have over-filled it when I did the fluid change, but it was about 2 inches from the top (per the manual).

The plow has become unresponsive at least once per plowing session. The only “remedy” is to cross my fingers and drive around a while. I can only guess that this somehow moves/agitates something that revives the plow. I’m not proud to admit that I “fixed” it the last time (during the Nemo cleanup) by kicking the reservoir/motor. It may be coincidence, but it began working again after a good kicking.

Does this sound like a clogged filter? I cannot find a mechanics/owner’s manual that instructs how to change/check a filter. Do Homesteaders have filters?

Thanks for taking the time to read this; I appreciate the help.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

I don't believe there is a filter to change- at least I never have.

If you have an original Fisher motor, they are prone to seizing from rust on the shaft in just a couple of days. The original motor has many openings to let in snow, condensation, etc. My original, plus a Fisher OEM replacement both did this.

If this happens, a couple of light 'taps' from a hammer or the like should free it up.

Do yourself a favor and buy an aftermarket motor on ebay. #27753

I haven't had this happen since.

My Fish Stik is now 7 years old and doesn't always connect well when I hit the up button- angling never seems to be an issue.
  3. Chaldaean

Chaldaean Junior Member
    from NH

Thanks for the confirmation.

I installed a new aftermarket motor two months ago (this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081SKD2I/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00) and I also sealed the motor case and electrical connections with silicone (FIPG) to keep out the elements. I can always hear the motor running when I use the fishstick, but the plow doesn't move. So, I don't think it's a motor issue.
  4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

It does have a filter, Fisher part # 26781. Have to remove the reservoir to get to it. Check all your connection on the pump itself. [​IMG]
  5. Chaldaean

Chaldaean Junior Member
    from NH

Thanks for the reply; I appreciate it. My local Fisher dealer had the filter in stock (~$10) and I'm looking forward to seeing if this cures my issue.

The dealer also mentioned that he has seen a lot of icing of filters this year. He showed me a picture on his phone of a filter that was completely encapsulated with ice. I'll try to do a complete fluid exchange this time. Hopefully, that will remove all water from the system and prevent icing.

I relayed to the dealer that, at least once, I pressed "angle left" and the plow went "angle right". He said that sounds like an electrical issue. So, if the filter doesn't do the trick, I'll look into replacing the plow-side 3-pin connection and maybe replace the solenoids while I'm at it.

I'll make best effort to reply to this thread and post the outcome.