1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

intermittent problem with lift unit

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by rjcichino, Jan 3, 2011.

1. rjcichino

rjcichino Junior Member

I have a old style convent mount proplow with a electric control. last season had a problem with the lift unit and it seemed to fix itself until 15hrs into this last storm. Here's what happens. if I try to raise the ploe , the motor runs and lifts to a point where the slack in the chain tighens up and then it seems as if it has no pressure to lift and motor seems to struggle. If I try to angle it sounds like the motor/pump runs freewheel (with no load or sucking air) plow does not angle at all. Fluid is full. After the storm was over I checked for power to the proper sol valves and all checked out good. I removed the valves and they seem to operate. put it all back togehter and it started to work for 10-15 lifts and angles then same problem??
  2. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

Sounds like you have ice in the bottom of the resivior. Drain the unit, take the motor off and remove it from the truck, take it inside and hang it upside down over a bucket over night. I had a similar problem on a cable operated plow quite a few years ago and that's what it took to cure the problem.
  3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you have a suction problem..I would do a complete system flush..Check the suction filter on the pump,and clean the filter with brake cleaner.. Clean the pump housing also out with brake cleaner. Use the "blue hydraulic" fluid when you are ready. I would also change the motor gasket..