1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Intermittent Meyer E47

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jeffr, Nov 29, 2009.

1. jeffr

jeffr Junior Member

Hi guys. I love this web site.
    I am actually an electronics tech trying to help out a friend with his Meyer E47 snow plow.
    The problem is very intermittent. When it works everything works. The blade goes up and down and angles OK. When it does not work, nothing works. You can hear the solenoid click and that's it. Sounds like an electrical problem and that is why I offered to help. HOWEVER! When it will not work there is 12 volts on the pump motor so the solenoid is working. There is 12 volts to whatever coil is is requested to energize. There is a good solid ground. All the connections are good. I can do electrical connections! Anyway my instinct is that the DC motor brushes and or the pump motor itself is most likely the cause. I wanted some other opinions, ideas before I tell my friend he needs a new pump.
    By intermittent I mean we can start the truck and operate the blade OK. Then shut the truck off, start it back up again and it won't work no matter what we do. restart the truck again then it might work OK again?
    How hard is the pump to replace?
    What is a pump motor going to cost?
    Thanks for your responses
  2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you have a bad connection somewhere. not the pump for sure. new motor $110. double check the connections. one is bad.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The next time it doesn't function jump the two large terminals on the motor solenoid with a set of jumper cables briefly to see if the motor then runs. The solenoid may show it sending 12V to the motor but it may defective and not allowing enough amperage through to actually turn the motor. Happens quite often, voltage goes through but can't carry the amperage through the worn/corroded contacts.

But, if when you jump it it still doesn't run then you have a motor issue. You can disassemble the motor and clean it up and check the brushes while cleaning any corrosion from the mounting base.

If it appears too rough inside motors are not too expensive to replace.
  4. WeDoSnowplowing

WeDoSnowplowing Senior Member

So is the problem fixed now? If so we all would like to know what was wrong.
  5. jeffr

jeffr Junior Member

And thanks for keeping track. I thought that both responses were good. I especially liked the diagnostic with regards to jumping out the solonoid. The bottom line is that I could not get the thing to mess up again. If it does I am sure my friend will let me know and I will get to try jumping out the solonoid. I did find some good info on the hydraulic motor since then as well.
    Thanks for your help

Jeff R
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You can buy the end cap with the brushes in it. With a piece of sheet metal and tin snips you can fab a tool to install it.
  7. WeDoSnowplowing

WeDoSnowplowing Senior Member