1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Intermittent loss of power - controller

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Sawboy, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Western Wideout, Fleet Flex. Towards the end of last winter, the hand held controller would lose power. Give it a little jiggle and it would regain the power. From what I could gather, it's the connector at the end of the hand held that connects to the wiring that comes through the firewall. It's loose fitting. Taping it together really didn't help.

Is there a way to repair this? Is there an "oversized" adapter to slide between the two ends?

I can't deal with it for another year. Nothing worse than getting yourself rolling forward, hit down, and nothing happens and driving through your pile of snow.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ck to see if you can spread the pins out on the male ends
  3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

The controller on my Western MVP had intermittent power loss issues the first year I had it - 2007. Dealer said Western had an issue with the wires losing contact; he rewired it at no charge. I bought a second controller as a back up just in case, because I didn't want to lose it in ghe middle of a storm. The re-wired one held up fine until last winter, when it started acting up again. Just started using my spare one rather than fix it again.
  4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I would go after the installer, take him for all this dogs and piles that for with him....that's what I would do!!
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'll take the dogs, saw can have the piles
  6. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

there was a problem for a little bit with loose connections between the control and the harness. there was service bulletin SP-828 'Intermediate connection harness', and that 3" intermediate harness, part # 69787 is available. This was a 2013 bulletin though, so I don't think your 2007 harness would have had the 'undersized connector
    on some vehicle control harnesses' that some of the harnesses had around that time had.
    but hey, it's worth a shot. if your local dealer has any of those they would have gotten them for free.
  7. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe next month sometime I'll take a run over to Regional with the controller and see what they say. I really can't deal with the nonsense this season.
  8. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

cool man. good luck.