1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Intermittent hydraulic problem

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Bulldogtb, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Bulldogtb

Bulldogtb Junior Member

I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum earlier but here is my problem. I have a MM 1 SEHP and while plowing the other day the Blade would not lift or angle. Got it into the warm garage and in the morning it worked but after plowing for 20 minutes it failed again. This time the blade got 1inch off the ground but the plow would not hold an angle, it just freely moved back and forth. 4 hours later it worked again while I did a large driveway for 30 min. Left it outside this time and 6 hours later it worked for 5 minutes before the blade had no hydraulic pressure again. 2 hours later it appears to be working again. The motor is turning, and there is enough fluid (changed last year). I can't think of what would cause this intermittent loss of hydraulic pressure. I originally thought I had water in the system and it was freezing but that would not explain the free floating blade. Any input would be appreciated.

Tim

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

If filter is frozen it can pump air into the rams allowing blade to move. If it hasn't been changed this year I would change it. Also flush the rams while you are at it.

3. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

You beat me to it kimber.Yes I agree change the filter and flush the rams and all the air out of the system then try it again.

4. Bulldogtb

Bulldogtb Junior Member

I couldn't replicate the problem yesterday but flushed the system and changed the filter anyways. The fluid looked fine no ice or water and the filter was relatively clean. I guess the next storm will tell.

5. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

Ice buildup on the filer. Mine has had this problem all winter. It's leaking from the lift ram and getting water in, I have not had the time to do a rebuild yet. During the cold storms the little bit of water that was getting in would form ice crystals and clog the filter. During warmer plowing times it didn't do it at all.