1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Intermittent Float Issue

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by kofkorn, Feb 11, 2015.

1. kofkorn

kofkorn Junior Member

Hi All,

I have an older 3000 that I purchased about a year ago. When I bought the plow, I disassembled most of the mechanicals and cleaned, repaired and repainted. I left the pump assembly together and replaced it as it was.

This fall, I upgraded both plow and truckside to a 2 plug setup. The upgrade went well and I've used the plow for the past month or so. When I upgraded the plug, I did find an issue with the ground circuit on the plow side. I tapped into the ground circuit and wired it to the main pump ground. It seems to work well like this.

The only issue that I have is with the float function. 75% of the time, it works fine. However sometimes, when I put the plow in float mode, it doesn't drop. I've found that one or two bumps left or right (with float on) will activate the float mode and it works fine until raised again. No issues with drop or raising speed, or leaking down. I suspect that something on the ground side may be the issue, but I haven't been able to find any suspect wires.

Is this likely to be a wiring/connection issue or is it possibly something with the solenoid itself?? It's not a huge deal, as I almost always bump the direction without thinking now, but it is something I'd like to fix.

Thanks for your help!

2. Capt. Fred

Capt. Fred Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but if it was a ground issue then all functions would be affected it sounds to me that it's a connection either at the switch or the solenoid or may be the switch you can reverse the wires and see if it affects the other functions I'm guessing you have toggles for up down and left right sometimes they wear out too

3. kofkorn

kofkorn Junior Member

I read on here that the jack retract is teh same solenoid type as the float. I may swap the two and see if the problem follows. Wiring swapping is a possibility too. I'll probably wait until this weekend's storm passes. I'd rather use it like it is now rather than not have anything on Sunday.

Thanks!

4. Capt. Fred

Capt. Fred Member

no doubt would do the same if you need to call Angelo at Curtis 800 343-7676 hes the man with these things sometimes tough to get a hold of but keep trying this time of year hes in great demand

5. kofkorn

kofkorn Junior Member

Quick Update

Prior to the last storm, I opened the hydraulics box and poked around in there. Nothing was immediately obvious, but after a bit of tracing, I did find where it appears that the wiring may have been slightly pinched between the cover and pump housing. I snipped and re-spliced these wires and then moved them out of the way with a couple of zip ties.

During the last storm (1'+), the float function seemed to work much better. I only had one or two times out of the 4hrs of plowing where the float didn't function properly. That may have been related to the connector instead of the wiring.

Keeping fingers crossed that this was the problem that is now fixed!