1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Intermittant Metal on Metal noise coming from '95 Chevy. Help!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Ryan Collins, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Ryan Collins

Ryan Collins Junior Member

Hey guys!

Hope someone can help me with this one. I've got a '95 Chevy Regular cab, 1/2 ton, 4x4, with 6.5L. My wife is the primary driver of this pickup. She came home the other night stating that she was hearing some odd noises coming from beneath the pickup. We swithced vehicles the next day, and I drove the pickup to work. The sound I heard, was a loud, metal on metal contact, seeming to be coming from the drive train. Primarily upon acceleration, and occasionally on a bump. Still very intermitant. Will not do it every time I accelerated, nor on every bump. However when it does occur it is rather loud, and a very rapid grinding sound. To me it sounded similar to somthing rubbing up against the fly wheel on occasion. I checked the tightness of the starter, found it to be secure, removed the fly wheel cover, discovered nothing. After a couple more days of driving, it has gotten a little bit worse, and is very difficult to tell, however seems to be coming from the area of the transfer case. I did notice that I had one u-joint on the front drive shaft that was slightly wore and probably soon in need of replacement. Otherwise I see no rub/scratch marks on either front nor rear drive shafts. Anybody have any ideas as to what in the world would create such a sound, before I take it in to GM and get charged $400?

2. SCFALL

SCFALL Member

Noise

Does the truck have a stick or automatic trans. If its an auto it could be a cracked flex plate (flywheel) try to power jack it a little and see if you hear the noise. If you do its probably a cracked flex plate. Good luck Scott

3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Double check that all the flexplate to convertor bolts are in place. Your description of hte noise is eerily similar to the noise I had when I had one of those bolts get loose and wander around inside the bell housing.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Ryan, try to note if the noise is related to the gear your in or RPM. manually shift the truck,and see if it does it in all gears,or certain ones,and if the scrape is RPM dependant. Try 2000RPM,then 3000RPM.See if it changes. I had a similar noise once,we spent 20 minutes before I realized the noise only happened in 1st gear and 3rd gear(700R4). In 2nd and 4th is was quiet. The tick turned out to be a balloned drum in the trans which actually rubbed against the inside of the trans case,the 2nd band was applied in 2nd and 4th,stopping the drum,so the nosie went away.When taking off in 1st or as soon as it shifted into 3rd it ticked,just like a bad CV joint when making a turn.

5. Ryan Collins

Thanks for the input guys. Today I dropped the front drive shaft to have the u-joint replaced. Drove it around (about 10 miles) and it made no noises at all. Could have been coincedental. We'll drive it through the weekend and see what happens. Maybe I'll get lucky and it was just the u-joint, although I cant see how it could be. Time will tell. Thanks again. I'll let you know what becomes of this. BTW: Automatic trans.

Ryan

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Also check the shifting fork on in the t case.
    Dino

7. Ryan Collins

Front U-joint did not solve. Still makes the noise, just not near as often as it did to start with, or for near the amount of time. Just a very short grinding mostly on bigger bumps in the road.

PlowKing:
    Thanks for the input. How do I check the shifting fork in the transfer case? I dont reallly have the facilities or the know how to tear my transfer case apart. Let me know if it's something I can do rather easily. Otherwise I'm afraid I'm just going to have to wait for this problem to worsen, and take it into a mechanic..........$$$$$:eek: $$$$$