1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Intermitent MM2 problem

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ChevKid03, Jan 4, 2010.

1. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Today when plowing drives (towards the end of the route thank god) I noticed the plow would imediately drop after I tried raising it, almost like i had a huge hole in a line or something so I got out of the truck... no leaks.. so I get back in, try to move it and eventually, it does what it's supposed to.... a few minutes later, when I tried going up with the plow, it went right... weird... (i have a fishstik) a few minutes after that when i tried moving the plow i heard the motor running but the plow wouldn't move... kept playing with the buttons ( motor would run every time i would try to move) and eventually it started moving again... any ideas on my issue? I was thinking something in the valves or cartridges sticking but not sure.. Any help would be appreciated...

2. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

Sounds like Bad conection probably at the plug.. More than likely .. Brake Kleen the conections and grease them up.. Maybe a broken wire in the harness at the plug.. And there will be a bunch of people that will say controler..( and it could be ) Sounds more electrical than hydraulic..

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It isn't a valve issue and from your description I wouldn't suspect a grill plug issue unless its heavily corroded in the rear of the rubber housing. More like a controller issue.

You can check and clean the grill connector but I think you'll find the issue returns once the controller gets warm. Which is why it waited until you were almost finished with your route.

4. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I appreciate your suggestions fellas.... this problem occured last year and I had the solenoid controller on my truck.... the first thing i thought was the controller.... so I went out and bought a brand new fishstik.... still had the same proble (still have the same fishstik controller).... The connections on the harness are always kept IMMACULATE... I clean them often and make sure to use di-electric grease as well.... After not being able to fix the problem last year i brought it in to have looked at.... The fisher guys couldn't find anything wrong with it either.... the ended up taking each valve out (correct me if i'm wrong when i say valve) and changed the fluid.... the tech told me he found a tiny shaving of metal that must have been blocking the one of the valves.... i can't see how that could cause such a problem but who knows....

5. plowinginma

from MA

A bad pump.. or a cylynder shaved metal off to cause that problem... If it is steel it is a piston..Aluminum is a pump... but the plow should not be intermintent with metal in the valve.. I suppose it could be..Take them out and inspect.. (Cartridge = valve( S1,S2,S3)

6. tracer22j

tracer22j Junior Member

i have found even good looking connections still don't connect some times on those grill plugs i bypass plug to test them

7. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

i had a similar problom last yr. it ended up being chaffed wires to the controller under the dash. if i remember right it was a green wire that was goofed.

8. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Before trying to troubleshoot this yesterday I hooked up to the plow and operated it up, down, left, right and everything in between for 5 full minutes without one thing going wrong.... This thing is starting to aggrevate me so this is what I did..... pulled the plow into the garage... drained the fluid and it was spotless. I took all solenoids off and took out each valve also... again spotless... Can someone tell me what valve does what? I'm thinking maybe one of the solenoids is sticking? I also took electronics cleaner and cleaned all the electrical connections again so they are spotless... I don't know.. starting to get worried because we're supposed to get snow Friday and I am not back home till Thursday morning.. Anyway I just need to fill the resevoir back up again when I get back... I will check for chaffed wires. Thanks guys

9. plowinginma

from MA

The one thing in common that changed .. You put your plow on.. (screams conection at the grill).. (btw They are coils not solenoids ..).. S1 lower ,, S2 Right and left,,, S3 raise and left .. you can could check to see if they function out of the manifold by powering up the coil when on the cartridge..