1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Interlocking stone plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Daner, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Hi All...I have some acounts to bid...they both have interlocking stone on there drives...One has a new border running from the road to the house...flush with the driveway...I told him It will be a bit of a callange not to catch those bricks on the border of the driveway. Then theres aprox1000 sq ' of the same inter lock up near the house...The other house has just the interlock in front of his garage.
    It seems to me that I now need a poly type of edge??
    Have any of you done drives with interlock?
    I'm thinking that I will have to have the blade bumped up a tad ...not to catch the border stones.....
    Thanks In advance for any input.
    Daner

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Just make sure you know where you are going. Stake it out properly, and run a poly edge. Although, the poly will still probably pull the stones up.

3. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

I don't know that I would plow one of those at all! If you pull up one of those stones, chances are the rest will start to move over the course of the winter, then you have a big liability and repair bill on your hands. If I were you and still wanted that account, I would price it accordingly with using a big F'in snowblower instead of coming anywhere close to those stones with a plow.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  4. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

When I first started plowing we used thick rubber cutting edges, now the only thing we use is POLY edges. Rubber still has it's place, but I likes the POLY.

You want something that is going to ride over the interlock like a rubber or poly edge will. If not, quote the guy for ice melt instead of plowing.

Just my 2 pennies

5. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Regular steel edege will be fine. I used to plow the local Unilock plant and they had several acres of interlocking paver parking lot and we never had any problems at all even when using the backhoe with the bucket.

I also did the entrance to my shop with pavers three years ago and not one problem here either.

6. Daner

Thanks for the replys guys...I may have to do It with the 8' snow blower...but even then that beast can still catch those border interlock stones.
    It may be ok when Its frozen real good ...but the beginning of the season.
    This could be a nightmare.
    What If i add to the contract ...Not responsible for any Inter locking damages?? and just be carfull??

7. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

I always put in my contracts that I'm not responsible for damages to ANY of the surfaces that they want plowed, that way if a sewer or drain is already heaved you won't get dinged for that either. If they have a problem with putting something like that in writing, you probably are better off not doing work for them. Make sure they understand your concern about the pavers and you might be able to get them to bite on preventative measures such as ice melt when a storm is anticipated as well. Just my 0.02.

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Are the boarder stones raised in some way above the drive? If so flag them with the flag in front of the paver between the drive.

Otherwise I would use a long pipe with a slot cut in it with bolts tapped in it to keep it tight. That has been talked about here before. Some of the paver's that are installed can be tricky as far as a corner up here or there and it only takes one. Not all are installed by the best using the best workmanship. Or you can make sure you run with the shoes on and a spacer added so it has a 1/8 inch above the surface.

9. Big Dog D

Plowing pavers with a steel edge is not a problem........trust me. You are worrying a lot about nothing.......honestly!!!!

10. Daner

Hey Guys ...Thanks a ton for the Input...It shure helps when we get together to think these things out.
    I Did express my concern to the gentelman and he can shure see what I mean when I had pointed out the problems that could ocure.
    The stones are somwhat flush ...but not all of them...LOL just coming up the driveway , the starter stones are 1" above ground. And Yes I better get my marker stick all lined up.
    As far as the house Is concerened ...I,m going to be doing just some back draging on those Interlocks....Not too shure what to do with my edge set up on the v plow ...I wondering If the steel edge will be ok just for back draging >?? . The interlocks are I would say maybe 10-15 yrs old up there. I hate the thoughts of of putting a plastic edge on...most of my work Is long country driveways gravel etc ...maybe the ole pipe trick?? who knows .
    Daner

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  11. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

If most of what you are doing is gravel then throw on a poly edge. You will not regret it.

12. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I have done it as well, as long as it put in right and it's level you will have do problems. Check it out carefully before you take the job and explain you issues to the owner. If he had a improper install and frost pushes up come winter you shouldn't be liable.

13. Daner

I'm gona check out the price of them...I was just concerend that the poly may wear out fast on the dirt/ gravel laneways...But thaks for the tip.
    It would be going on a wester V plow.
    My fear about the interlocks Is scraping them up by the house when I back drag
    May be just throw the poly to It and be done.
    Ok let er snow now...Thanks Guys
    Daner

14. Big Dog D

I'm going to say it one last time...............you CAN use a regular steel edge going forward or backward with NO ill effect on them. You don't need poly, or pipe or anything else trust me I do It all of time. I would not have done the entrance to my shop with them if they were going to be a problem. The pavers at my shop aren't even any of those multi angle ones or anything they are all rectangles installed on a running bond pattern. I even use my 410E with the bucket on them and again no problem. I wouldn't steer you wrong on this.

15. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I think a point that a lot of people are missing is that the area near the end can easily get peeled up with a snow plow. It really doesn't matter too much what type of blade you use. The possibility is still there. I used to do a few paver drives and I used my steel edge. I was lucky in that I never had to come near the edges of the pavers. I can definitely see the possibility but, as with everything else, take your time and know your limits. I used a steel edge but I may have got better results with a rubber edge. I don't think any kind of edge will prevent the possibility of peeling up edge pavers. That really comes down to operator experience & patience.

16. Daner

Yes we are talking about two types of work here...#1 Is the pavers around the house
    #2 the border pavers that run up the lave way from one end to another.
    I for sure know that no mater what edge that I use near the border Interlocks ,If It catches ...and not frozen they are going to be disturbed.
    The pavers at the house are not level dips and dives...That has to be back draged any way...It will not be in a push mode.
    If the steel edge will be ok ...why do they sell the poly edges, and why are some useing them.

17. Big Dog D

I belive that the poly edges are a preference thing. They are supposedly quieter and more foregiving. I don't know much other than that but I think it comes down to a preference thing.

If the pavers were installed poorly you are going to have a problem with either edge in my opinion. From what I have seen and know about the poly edges they are going to pop something out just as easily as the steel edge.

If you want to try a poly edge to try one thats fine but the only thing I was trying to make sure that you unferstood that was from my experience with the pavers is that you don't need the poly.

18. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Big Dog D

Exactly you're right.. I think your point is that the are fine to plow! End of statment...:dizzy:

Now pointers are being made to be careful just like you would with any material edges.

Gee Wiz, put it rest! :sleeping:

19. twbuild

twbuild Junior Member

Steel blades will leave metal behind, imbeded in the bricks. when spring hits those orange rust stains do not look good.

20. Big Dog D

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: Come look at mine, no problems. Go look at the Unilock plant lot, several acres of pavers almost 10 years old...........no problems!

How many of them have you plowed? What experiences are you speaking from or about?