1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Interior Space For Dodge Crew Cab

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by AiRhed, Jan 7, 2010.

1. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Two kids in a Crew Cab?

I was pretty well set on a mega cab for the family, but the bed space is a real deal breaker. I thought I could compromise but now I'm not so sure.

The mega has enough room for the family. But not enough for work. Does anyone on here plow with a crew and have two kids as well? I ask this question again, because I've been seriously looking into a 45-5500 cab chassis. If I can comfortably fit the two kids in a crew I think I'll go with a new HD that can actually hang a plow off the nose.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  2. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

2 kids in the crew cab.......not a problem. But I wouldn't want to sit my fat arse in the back for more than a couple hours. It's not that bad, but it's not a Megacab either!

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Quad cab? I have one and I would never go back to a single cab especially. I keep all kinds of gear with me and live in it for days on end during the winter; I have plenty of room. We take it on camping/wheeling trips (as the tow-rig) during the summer and have had 4 adults in it on several hour road trips a few times. It's easier to get a car seat into and out of than most cars to be quite honest. We babysit younger cousins and our friends' kids and they always love sitting up high in the truck compared to a car.

4. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

I hate cars, anything is better than a car......except a van :laughing::laughing: The QC is a happy medium between having space inside and still having a usable bed IMO.

:nod:

5. zjm

zjm Senior Member

ive got a quad and love it. 3 kids 5-10-12 and the 5 of us fit comfy on a long trip.its not a mega but how often are ya gonna have the gang with you.

6. big schmitty

big schmitty Member

I have a mega cab dually that I plow and salt with. I bought it for my wife but I use it for work too. I thought the bed was going to be a problem but haven't had much issue with it, but I also have another truck with the 8 ft bed sitting next to it. I love the mega cab it has been a great truck.

7. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Got Pics of that set up?

8. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

I think the bed space on the Mega for strictly plowing and family trips would be enough. But I'm a carpenter, so hauling sheetgoods and dimensional lumber is a must. I'd hate to drop that gate every time I have to haul something that's just 8',

9. big schmitty

big schmitty Member

Here is a few pics of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

Very nice set up, Thanks for the pics.

11. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Ooooooh. That is sharp. All red, the truck, salter and plow. Now that's coordination!

Well, as far as being a viable choice for plow truck, that argument is won.

Now viability as a carpenters truck is up for debate.

12. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

I just have a quad cab with the short bed, I do find it to be too small at times .just your average do it yourselfer here not using it for work , I have always had 8 foot beds in my trucks and thought the smaller bed would not be a problem but sometimes it is.

13. big schmitty

big schmitty Member

Heck, buy one from the dealer in Texas that sells them off the lot with the 8 ft. bed. I actually wanted the maroon color, but it worked out as a good advertisement for western.:laughing:

14. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Yea, I've thought of the 8 ft conversion. The going rate is about 5,000 for that. It's really not all that long either. Just 6" longer bumper to bumper than a Ford Crew Cab Long Box!

15. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

I'd check with Dodge the newer 2500,3500 series , I'm not sure but the 2010 or 2011 models are suppose to come with the 4 door cab being used on the 1500, which is bigger than the standard Quad and smaller than the phased out Mega Cab. They are suppose to be offering the "true" crew cab with the 8' bed configuration to be more in line with their competeting models from Ford and GM.