1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Interior lights

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 81pickup, Jan 31, 2002.

1. 81pickup

81pickup Junior Member

My truck currently has no interior light in it, because some moron ripped it out including the all wiring (don't ask me why) There is a switch above the driver side sear belt. Is this where the light hooks up? I'm pulling my headliner out this weekend because it is falling down, so i figured I'd nail two birds with one stone and fix the light while I'm at it. But I was also wondering whether the lights under the dash are supposed to come on when you open the door? They come on when you turn the headlight switch. I had this problem with my '67 mustang, and I found it was the switch in the door that was broken.

Any ideas?

2. mowahman

mowahman Junior Member

The switch by the seat belt is usually for the rear bed cargo light.
    As for the interior lights coming on when opening the doors, might be the switch in the forward door post being gummed up or broken.

3. RTallday

RTallday Member

OK, the wire that goes to the dome light is USUALLY orange, (this is the power wire), and is probably run under the carpet, if you have one. If there is one, just follow it and you will see there is a plug half way up the wall where the seatbelt bolts up. Its INSIDE the wall, behind the seatbelt. You will have to remove any trim panels you have to get at it. If there is no wiring, Year One makes a harness for it. So see what you have, or dont have and take it from there. Good luck.

-Rich

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Custom Deluxe is the lowest trim level. There never was an overhead light, only under dash that work off the headlight switch. There are no pin switches on the door jambs. You can install pin switches yourself if you want. I installed a toggle switch in my 80 GMC Sierra (lowest trim level) to control an overhead light. I also connected a small overhead console with lights that you press to turn on out of some 1980's import car. I also spliced in extra lights under the dash. I added a seperate light on the passenger side, with a toggle switch on that side. Makes digging around on that side at night easier. No need to walk around to the driver's side first and turn on the switch. I got an under hood drop light, with a magnet on it that will reach all 4 wheels off a 93 Silverado 1500.

I'm guessing you have no cigarette light either? The standard bench seat that doesn't fold forward, but looks like it should?

The more lights the better.

~Chuck

5. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

I thought the folding seat back and the dome lights were optional back then? I'm sure that my 84 had them and I thing the 77 did too.

6. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Wolfie - you're right, those items were optional back then, hence the reason for the different trim levels.

Custom Deluxe (Chevy) and Sierra (GMC) were the base "plain pipe rack" models. Higher level trim packages came with different degrees of options and interior trim, without going into a lot of detail higher Chevy trim levels included Cheyenne, Scottsdale & Silverado - the top of the line level - while GMC trim packages included High Sierra, Sierra Grande and Sierra Classic - their top of the line package.

7. reallyrusty

reallyrusty Member

My 74 k20 (custom deluxe) has both a folding seat and the door switches for the under dash light. ????????? I would pretty well bet you a cup of coffee nothing has been changed.

8. 81pickup

81pickup Junior Member

Actually Chuck my truck does have a cigarette lighter and a folding bench seat.( allthough there is something wrong with it beacase it doesn't lock in...) You are right though... there are no pin swithches in the door jamb. I may have to put in a switch like you did. It is a real pain in the @ss having to run around and flick the switch on when you're trying to get something from the passenger side. As for the Cargo light switch, my truck does not have a Cargo light so why is there a switch??? It looks factory, but I don't think it is hooked up to anything.
    Thanks for the help guys!