1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

interior lights

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by drifter79, Jan 19, 2006.

1. drifter79

drifter79 Member
    from pacific

I cannot figure out how to get the center console off it is the one on the inside roof with the temp,mpg,ect, and the dome lights in it. The manual said to take out two screw and slide back to get off of plastic clips can see the clips but not the screws. 2001 CTD....:realmad: :angry: :dizzy:
  2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

in my 96 the screws are in holes in the bottom- put your head on the dash and look up point of view. near the windshield.
  3. drifter79

drifter79 Member
    from pacific

Thanks for the reply but I looked and there is not any screws there I think they might be under the cover were the air temp and mpg average show up but do not want to pry off and brake it if they are not there. Somebody has had to have pulled theres off I would think I need to pull off to repair dome lights or just to replace the whole dammit.:dizzy:
  4. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Yank the dam thing off:nod: j/k pull slowly if you need to. :bluebounc
  5. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

Ok, so ya had me thinking after I read your post on how I got mine down. I have the same year truck, and had pulled it down before just to see how to get it down if I needed to repair a light some time. So long story short, I went out to the garage and refreshed my memory.

It's pretty simple once you see how it works, so here's how ya do it.

1. Open the door where you would put the button for your garage door.
    2. Look up in there, and you will see 2 metal items recessed to the front of the inside of the compartment.
    3. You want to take one hand and push those metal items forward (towards the windshield).
    4. With the other hand, you want to kinda put your hand in front of the temp readout unit (basically your hand between the windshield and the readout unit).
    NOTE: I found easy for me to use my right hand to push the two metal items forward w/ my pinky and pointing finger, and then use my left hand to grip the front of the counsel piece.
    5. While keeping those two metal pieces pushed forward (towards the windshield), you want to lightly take you left hand and push the counsel piece back (towards the back seats). It doesn't take to much force. You'll feel it kinda pop in a way.
    6. Once that is done you just need to pull down slighly, and the front part of the counsel piece will come down.
    7. Finally all you have to do is lightly push the rest of the counsel piece back (towards the back seats) and the back of it will drop out of place.

I found it took a little bit to get the whole process down, but it's pretty simple to do.
    I took pic.'s to make it easier to get, but can't figure out how to download them to the thread from where they are saved in my computer. I'll keep trying w/ the pic.'s. If someone know's how, let me know. Never downloaded digital pic.'s to an internet site before.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  6. drifter79

drifter79 Member
    from pacific

dieseltroop, Thanks I am at work now but when I get home I will try. Both of my lights in there were stuck on so I need to pull off to fix them if you can post photos that would be great I do not want to break it that stuff is exspensive Thanks again.:) :)
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks for the help

My drivers side light has been out for atleast a year. I just went outside and followed your instructions and it worked perfect. The bulb was just loose. It was actually harder to put back together.:drinkup:
  8. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

No problem, Any time. Glad to hear that it worked out rather smooth!
  9. drifter79

drifter79 Member
    from pacific

:drinkup: dieseltroop, if I lived closer I would buy you a cold one or two:nod: Maybe a walleye trip Thanks again:D
  10. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

Your welcome.