1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

interior lights covered trailer?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dj89, Sep 23, 2009.

1. dj89

dj89 Senior Member
    from wny

I just bought a covered trailer, all but two markers lights work. The interior lights do not how would i test them to see why they do not work? off my truck? than on side the trailer?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How big is the trailer? If it's a small one without brakes the interior lights are usually fed from the marker/taillight circuit. Also, some have a switch by the side door, as well as switches on the light itself.

How old is it? Does it look like the wiring has been hacked up?

3. dj89

dj89 Senior Member
    from wny

It is a 05 7x12 halmark xls or something like that. It has the switch near the door and two over head lights.

4. keitha

keitha Senior Member

Is your truck wired with 12v accessory to the plug?
    My 00 ford the 12v is key switched. Key must be on or truck running for lights to work.
    Trailer wiring diagrams here: http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx
    Good luck

Keith

5. dj89

dj89 Senior Member
    from wny

I do not know, it dose charge the battery on my other trailer, so i think it dose.

6. dj89

dj89 Senior Member
    from wny

i just tested the center prong, with my truck running. Nothing.... Do i need to check a fuse or something?

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How many wires on the plug of the trailer in question? Does it have electric brakes? You probably need to start at the lights and try to work backwards and find where they get their power from. I had a Haulmark w/o brakes. The interior lights were powered off the clearance light wire. The trailer needed to be connected to the truck with the lights on for the interior lights to work. And don't overlook the obvious. Check the bulbs.

8. dj89

dj89 Senior Member
    from wny

its a 7 plug, it has breaks. Ill check those. But if they get there plower from the center prong, that has not power...

9. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

lights

it could be the 12 volt lead under the hood as far as the center pin being dead ,if it has that function set up in the plug .is it a factory plug or added later ?but also check the ground's on the lights themselves also when you ground to a aluminum piece it can loose it real easy .

some times the switches on the interior lights don't last long also .:salute:

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Brakes are not center pin. Use the diagrams in the link posted above.

11. dj89

dj89 Senior Member
    from wny

Got them to work. I tested the 12v on my truck and don't have anything. Looks like some one already rewired it. I could not get ny power to it. I just when in the battery box and rewired the trailer so now when ever my lights are on the lights in the trailer will turn on. If i can find out why my truck dose not have any power i can just put it back how it was.

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure your battery is still charging. You need that to power your breakaway brakes.

13. dj89

dj89 Senior Member
    from wny

I was thinking bout that too. my other trailer charges, But i don know about this one. Could i charge it off my lights too?

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Really shouldn't. Your going to overload the taillight circuit and risk blowing a fuse. Then you have no marker lights anywhere. Truck, trailer, nothing. It shouldn't be to tough to figure out what's going on.

15. dj89

dj89 Senior Member
    from wny

Well its got to be on the truck, and there no power coming off the truck but i dont know what to do yo get power to it.

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So you have used this truck to pull another trailer, and it charges the battery?

17. dj89

dj89 Senior Member
    from wny

yes, my moritz.

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like the truck side is OK. Did you use the diagram in the link posted? It's pretty clear, you should be able to trace it all out. Make sure the truck side works properly first.

19. dj89

dj89 Senior Member
    from wny

It dose not. it dose not get power were it should.....