1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Interesting Western Pump Problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by linckeil, Oct 22, 2007.

1. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I have an older western cable controlled unit. it angles left to right no problem. it drops perfectly, and it raises just fine - most of the time.....

to get the blade to raise properly, i need to slam the joystick up. there's no gradually pushing up the joystick. if i try that, the pump wines and it'll eventually get it up, but in 3 times it would take if i just slam the joystick. (when i say slam i really mean a swift, quick, full lift). now if i slam the joystick up and lift the plow half way, then stop, then slam it up again to fully lift the plow, it won't go up as fast as it should.

i can't figure this out... i verified the cable travel at the pump and i know my internal pump is putting out the correct pressure as i have a gauge to test it (just about 1850 psi). what is causing this? what should i be checking? i don't think i should play with the lift or check valves as it drops and lifts (when joystick slammed up) as it should. its just the slow lift on the joystick or stoppping mid way and trying to lift the remainder of the way where things get messed up. could it be the lift cable is stretching and may be on the verge of breaking? i don't even know if the cable would stretch, or would it just break with out stretching?

i hope i explained this problem cleary. let me know if you need any clarification. please help!!! thanks.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

3. linckeil

from CT

i know its not the ground contact in the controller. it puts power to the solenoid and runs the pump whether the joystick is slammed or gradually applied. maybe i'll remove the joystick and cables from my brothers truck and try it on mine - but i'd rather that be a last resort after checking any other possible problems. but it could be something worn in the control box / cable problems. that would be the logical conclusion, but could it be anything else?

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The base and platen.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

This really isn't an uncommon problem...either the base plate on the joystick is worn like Basher said, or the lift/lower cable is stretched/worn. If either condition exists, you can adjust it till your blue in the face and it still won't work right....

6. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

old dog

like they said the coper strip on the platen can get weakened from age and heat and the will relax some times you can bend them back if it helps put in a new platen also the valves for the raise lower portion of the valve block can just wear out and just make it a bear cat to keep adjusted . kiss off about $225.00

7. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

49015 platen 56026 contact strip 49020 4 way valve kit

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Base and platen wear isn't electric related. It involves improperly centering of the fulcrum point of the lever.

You can't get good western cables any more. nobody carries the wire wrapped cables. they're all the plastic tubes, they last about 4 hours , it gets worse as everything heats up then you can't keep them adjusted.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Couldn't agree with you more on that one Basher....:realmad:

10. linckeil

from CT

thanks guys.... the consensus seems to be control box / cable problems as i had suspected all along. hopefully i'll have a chance next weekend to hook up a set that i know functions properly.

11. linckeil

from CT

update - it wasn't the base and platen. it was the lift cable. works as good as new now. thanks for all suggestions.