1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Interesting Snow Story

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jspivxl102, Mar 4, 2003.

1. jspivxl102

jspivxl102 Member

I heard about this on the local radio station morning show.

A few weeks ago Richmond, VA had a big snow (big for us anyway.) The DOT plow trucks plowed the local roads and blocked one man in his driveway with about a foot of snow. The homeowner went wild. He called the DOT and complained but they said it wasn't their fault. The angry homeowner shoveled all of the snow into his own pickup and trailer. He then proceeded to dump all of the snow that blocked his driveway directly in front of the driveway of the man that is in charge of the DOT. The head of the DOT walked out and punched the homeowner in the face. The homeowner is now sueing both the head of the DOT and the state government itself.

Funny true story.
  2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

They both sound nuts!!:eek:
  3. jspivxl102

jspivxl102 Member

Pelican, I couldn't agree more. I just wonder how the homeowner found the home of the head of the DOT... I wonder how these lawsuits will come out. Maybe the head of the DOT will lose his job... I dunno...
  4. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

must have ben a friday....

5. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I saw a story in my paper about 2 separate incidents of VA DOT workers being assaulted while plowing. The stories didn't have many details, just that the workers were not seriously injured. They sure get wacky down there when it snows in Virginia!!
  6. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

Pelicans' got it right.

where is the plow supposed to put the snow?

reminds me of the idiot homeowners around here that put the snow back in the street, only to have the plow push it back over again.
  7. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

whats that movie Dumb and Dumber well i see the dumb one and the Dumber one in that story.

8. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

Friend of mine in the city Buffalo was on the news and he was complaining how he has this 3 car wide, but less than 1 car deep driveway that the got filled by the city plows. They 'seemed' to turn right there and 'target' his driveway. So he busted his butt to get all those boulders out that day. He was proud that he made his point to the city of Buffalo for all to see.

Well, storm continued and guess what! Guys must of seen the news and that driveway just got filled up again!

I think he has learned to quit his bi***in.:realmad:
  9. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Right away someone has to sue:rolleyes:
  10. nobull1

nobull1 Junior Member

Reading this topic reminded me of my own story. Here is my story about 10 years ago I had a 300 4x4 Honda that I used to plow a couple of drives in the area.That year there was a lot of snow came early, stayed and nowhere to push it so as per all plows that year it went across the road to the ditches
    yah it is illegal here too but never a problem if you use common sense.Well a "contract" dot driver who knew who I was from seeing me in the storms plowing decided that he did not like the way I plowed the drives before he made his first pass, decided himself to teach me and my customer a lesson So we have these snowbanks 5 feet tall that have to be pushed back a couple of feet in case of more ,snow so Mr plow driver is doing a good job until he gets 20 feet from the customer and my driveways and drops the wing and picks up 3 more feet of snow and drops in our yards <picks up wing 5 feet other side of >.Now this is hard frozen snow that is getting rained on so you can imagine what this is like in the morning after it got cold.It took me a half hour with the bike to get a space to get the car out Now other than rude this is also dangerous because of emergencies fire,medical etc.So on the phone I go talk to the foreman blah blah blah nothing, get a hold of the area super blah blah blah would not have done on purpose, how would you know if he did blah blah blah so I say you better have a look because I am going to take pics and call the local paper. so he says OK we will have a look.About a hour later dot truck arrives crew of men and plow truck snow gone . Next day call from super yah you were right will look into it About 2 weeks later get a call from super wants to meet with me about plowing snow across road etc so we made a time to meet at a later time.Now the big day super with foreman in tow to my door,super has investigated and found driver admitted to plowing in our driveways:D and foreman is on drivers side big mistake.After about a half hour and the super finding out that the problem was caused by a bike not a truck as was first thought plus made a point to say that there is never a reason for the driver to plow in a driveway on purpose, I got a apology from the super and foreman:D plus I think the driver never got a call back to work.Now all that said I am a plow driver so I am not running down drivers just this one, you can see what could have happened if there was an emergency legal issues etc so be careful plowing in those non payers. By the way if the driver had talked to me before plowing me in I am sure it could have been worked out but no had to be weasle in the middle of the night:realmad: got what he deserved
    have a good day people

11. cos

cos Junior Member

One of my sidewalks got plowed over by the township from the street and from the transportation authority that owns the right away. I told the owner I was not fixing someone else's mistake (for a fee, I would :) ). At another property, I made sure that the lady that handles my account knew that someone deliberatly piled a big pile of snow right in front of the drive of their apartments. I can take a guess as to the culpret, hint: the tenant's son owns a plow. People are jerks and you have to deal with them.
  12. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

Same thing happened in Indiana, I believe it was in Fort Wayne. Guy dumped the snow in driveway of the city council man, who also happened to be the head the city street dept. Council man got pissed, punched the guy, and got arrested.

13. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I had that same story Forwarded to me, only in my version it happened in Chicago LOL
  14. drobson

drobson Senior Member

If the guy that did the punching doesn't get fired, he will at least have put a severe drag on his future career. That was a dumb move, he should have just called the police and had the guy arrested.