1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

interesting SES light

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ticki2, Feb 23, 2008.

1. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

A little backround . On the '02 in my sig , which I bought used about a year ago the SES light was on constantly . Check out the codes and it shows up as cruise control , trouble is the vehicle doesn't have cruise . When I put tires on I had them erase the code , lasted about 3 days and it was back. Basically I gave up and lived with it. Then last week I replaced a front hub bearing and whola , no more SES light , one week and counting. BTW never did have an ABS light come on. Anyone know if those two curcuits have anything in common (cruise and wheel sensor) ?

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I think they do have something to do with each other. Could be the speed sensor going to pot or an abs sensor?? I think our resident Chevy guy, B&B can shed some better light on this for you:nod:

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Do you know what the exact code number was that your refering to as a cruise code?

4. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

The code was PO571

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A P0571 code should'nt illuminate the SES light.(stranger things have happened though LOL) Are you positive that was the only code found when you had it scanned?

Doesn't matter as far as you changing the hub assembly having an effect on it regardless, as a P0571 would be totally unrelated to a ABS wheel sensor/hub problem.

6. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

I agree on both points , it's a mistery to me . There are no other codes. I was told by PO that he had it at the dealer for the same issue , SES light , and they found the same thing . They cleared the code but it came back shortly after. It may still come back , it has been about a week with no light. I can clear the SES by disconnecting the batteries but it will come back within a day.

Do both curcuits go through th ECM? Electronics is not my strong suit.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The ECM does have a cruise enabled/disabled input. And it does whether the truck actually has the cruise or not since these trucks are "pre wired" for cruise regardless, so many of the components that the cruise would use would be installed in the truck and the code your experiencing could be emulating from the cruise switch located on the brake pedal being out of spec. It may take a certain amount of brake application like a hard or panic stop before the ECM will recognizes or see the "problem" and set the code.

The ECM does have a brake application input but not a direct ABS input.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Did someone add a brake control to the truck with-out using the factory tow package? Using the cruise control signal as a brake signal for the brake control can cause all kinds of problems, the computer dosen't like it at all.

9. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

There is a brake controler installed (previously) , I haven't checked that connection. I have also since installed cruise , but the light was on both before and after , so I don't think that had any effect. What is puzzleing is that only after the hub bearing was replaced did the SES light go out , nothing else was changed.