1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Interesting Predicament I have here

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MikeRi24, Oct 28, 2008.

1. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I was planning on getting a SnowDogg plow for my 2003 Jeep Wrangler and using that to do ~10 driveways. Recently, I found a 1994 Ford F250 with 164k on it that has a 6 year old Western Unimount and a 1 year old Driftbuster on it. The truck itself is in rough shape visually (typical Ford rot) but mechanically it seems fairly sound, aside from needing a good brake job. The only thing that concerns me about the plow is its a little slow going up. turns left and right just fine though. the guy thinks its low on fluid.

So heres my little dilemma: I am goi8ng to be buying a 3/4 ton truck of some sort for my wildly growing landscaping business in the spring. I'm now debating if I want to buy the plow for my Jeep, or for the same cost, I could buy the Ford, plow with it through this winter, take the plows off and get rid of the truck and then buy a nicer truck for my business and then have a set of plows for it. If i get the plow for my Jeep, I will have a reliable vehicle and a brand new plow with a warranty but starting next winter I will have a 3/4 ton truck useless and have to plow with the Jeep again.

Opinions on what I should do?

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

If your going to plow driveways get a plow for the Jeep. You will make more payup with the jeep. 10 drives should take you an hour to plow. If your customers love the landscape work you do they should jump at your plow service, but not with an old truck. So get more driveways. Let me ask you, what kind of a reputation will you get when your 14 year old truck brakes down. If you want to make payup you need to be dependable and you need to work! With the Jeep you can plow more driveways. DONT USE THE JEEP TO PLOW WALMART! Remember the waterpump, alt, u_joints, brake lines, power steering pump are 14 years old. I would use the truck for a backup but not my main plow vehicle.

22 years plowing driveways, now 96 of them. Using a Jeep for 20 1/2 years (got rid of the truck)

You didn't say what your typical drive is! Mine is one car wide L shaped 120 Ft with a 2 car landing in front of the garage. In addition about 15% have a circle or U shaped drive also.

JMO

3. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

i absolutely refuse to do anything commercial. I have even turned down a couple apartments with small 5 or 6 car lots. my typical driveway is 1 car wide by like 5 or 6 long and then I have a couple that are maybe 7 or 8 long. I use my Jeep for daily transportation and REALLY rely on it a lot for that, and I'm just worried about it holding up. its a 2003 with 57k on it.

4. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

If your not going to do commercial I would get a plow for the jeep.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What was the question;)

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

While a jeep is capable of doing the job at hand.
    But... as you say.."I use my Jeep for daily transportation and REALLY rely on it a lot for that,"
    Then do not plow with it,

Lets take a step back and look at this.
    He now has a company truck ( your co. owns the truck It becomes an asset of your business)
    that is capable of doing the job also.
    Now work that truck all year long. Make that truck earn you money while keeping your PERSONAL vehicle out of the business. Or put a light weight plow on the jeep and use it as a back up plowrig or use it as your business grows. By then you can get a new jeep.

jmo.....;)

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ive had 3 Jeeps each one plowed all winter average 12 storms with 60 drives ive put 440,000 on 3 jeeps the ONLY brakedown i've had was a wheel bearing from autozone that lasted 31 days. 10 driveways , 20, 30, wont heart the jeep. By the way the jeep uses the same u-joints as the F250 (boy thats going to start something)

8. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

i looked a it, and heres what deters me: its $4700 installed (snowdogg is $2700) and seems VERY complicated while the snowdogg used a basic tried and true design, the sno-way also seemed flimsy as hell to me and weighed a significantly greater amount. and the biggest thing for me was the nearest Sno-Way dealer is almost 30 miles away from me, and the snowdogg dealer is about 5 minutes from me. but thats all besides the point.....

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Dealer support is critical.

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I said the jeep would work right?

Yes, Jeep's do have some stout parts and some small parts, I have owned jeeps.
    Let's face it they all break down even your jeep.

Your way he now parks his "worktruck" then he uses his personal truck for his business in the winter plowing.
    This is convulsion of funds/assets now clouds the line between business and personal assets..
    This is a no, no....we have to look at the "big picture"

There is more to than can the jeep do the job.....
    But if your just playing business men then do whatever....

latter...........................

11. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I was really impressed with the snow dogg design, although I cant really say I see where they get the design from sno-way. seems like a totally different animal to me. if anything, i would say blizzard and snow way are more alike than anything.

12. TEX

TEX Senior Member

ill 2nd what theplowmeister said. you can get alot of drive ways done quick with a jeep. on the other hand you would have a back up truck for next yr when you got a better 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

I would think hard about it bc the jeep is your DD and if you tear it up plowin now what?

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Blade design mostly. Other then that the snowdogg is just another copy of old school plows. Buyer products (snow dogg's parent) is noted for knock off manufacturing.

You're right the DDizzard and Boss are the closest to the Snoway in that they share the direct lift design.

i am not meaning to detract from the snowdogg it's just doesn't have the features of the Snoway. The direct lift system particularly with down pressure preforms better in back drag and stack situations then the chain lift.

14. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Hi guys - just putting in my two cents as my team and I designed the Snow Dogg MD and the HD/EX plows. The SnowDogg full size plows use simple, proven technology - and are more similar to Western/Meyer/Boss. While Snoway is a very interesting and well engineered product - we took a different route to developing our snowplow.

So no, you'd find very few similarities between a SnowDogg and a Snoway. The MD is a scaled down version of the HD/EX plow. The blade design is what it is - when you've got laser cut ribs (nothing better), there are only so many ways they can look.

The idea that Buyers is knocking anything off is about 10 years out of date. The SaltDogg and SnowDogg lines were designed by our engineering team (10 and growing) from the ground up to be simple and reliable. I won't give you the whole sales pitch - but from the beginning we set out to "remove snow from the ground", not to "make a cool plow". This shaped our whole design process.

Sometimes I look at the clean lift frame of the Blizzard and Snoway and wonder what could have been... (direct lift) However, it's kind of a Superman vs. Batman argument, just like trip edge vs. full trip.

Basher is right - Snoway has some great features - especially as they relate to lighter plows. He's also right that you need a good dealer.

Scott Moorman
    BPC / Snowdogg plows

15. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Look at the Sno-Way site and make some comparisions. Ton of Jeeps running around with Sno-Ways and they work awesome.

16. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I AM NOT BUYING A SNO-WAY PLOW!!! the dealer is 30 miles away number 1 and number 2 I am not paying almost 2 grand more for a plow that seems flimsy and cheap to me. end of that discussion.

17. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Your kidding right????????????????????????????????????????:confused:

18. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

"Opinions on what I should do? "

Touchy

How do you backdrag?
    What's your back up plan If jeep/plow break?
    The Ford is much too old and you don't know enough to keep it going.

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A experienced professional has spoken:rolleyes:

20. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

Not to really intervene here but I was thinking the same thing about snoway. But my cousin became a dealer and I have been looking at them quite a bit lately. Well when they introduced the new Mega Series goodbye Fisher for me. This new plow I bought looks to be built stronger and more durable than the extreme v by fisher, so i went with it. You should really look closer at the snoway lineup before making your decision on flimsy and such.