1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

interesting little truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Detroitdan, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

2. hummer81

hummer81 Member
    from MN

I see few duel add-ons around here (MN) on older trucks that look alot worse than that one. But I don't understand why all that work to still have a 1/2 ton chassis at the end of the day. People do it so there must be a reason, Please someone enlighten me...
  3. Detroitdan

I daresay a srw 3/4 ton would haul or tow more. I can see adding that to a 3/4 ton to improve towing or hauling, but would it really help a 1/2 ton? Obviously it would stabilize a trailer, but it wouldn't allow for more tongue weight or payload without beefing up the suspension too. At which point, if you start throwing some real weight on there you are going to be beyond the capacity of your little brakes and wheelbearings.

Kind of a waste of a nice dually bed, they are awful hard to find for us dually guys that legitimately need them. Took me five years to find a good replacement one that wasn't either bashed up or overpriced.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

He probably threw a dually axle under it. That would be easier than making custom 6 lug dually wheels. The 10 bolt in a half tons gernade easy enough let alone doing something like that
  5. IApushn

IApushn Junior Member

He says it doesn't have bud wheels so I think they are origina. I have seen an older one converted with spacers and regular dished rims.
  6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

They are conversion kits available from JC Whitney... can get them for S10's, suburbans, etc too. Its for guys that want to pretend they have a big truck. Image. You wouldn't know the difference rolling down the street empty. Some guys like lowered duallys for custom trucks, for example, but don't want the weight of a one ton for racing etc.

Its really kind of a silly thing to do.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  7. Detroitdan

speaking of lowered duallys, when I got my 82 I found a forum that had a long thread with pictures of 73-87 crewcabs, because I was looking for paint ideas. I'd say between half and three quarters of the OOBS crew duallys on there are lowered with chopped up frames and huge wheels stuffed up under the fenderwells. I have no idea what guys find appealing about that, but they sure do. The more radically chopped it looks the more they love it.

Like Derek said, this guy has stock wheels with spacers between them. I've seen them at JC Whitney too, but never thought anyone ever bought them.