1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Interesting DOT plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by the_experience, Mar 1, 2007.

1. the_experience

the_experience Member

I'm not sure if this is where this post belongs so please move it if it doesn't belong here, Mods.

As I was driving to work today I saw an interesting Minnesota DOT plow. It was a big bi-axle Ford F8000 with the typical tank and sander unit and a right hand wing, but what caught my eye was the front plow.

It was a power reversible plow (I saw the cylinders), but it had a poly moldboard. There was a linkage on the moldboard that would fold the forward side down while pulling the back side up so that the plow was shaped more like a high speed one way plow. At the intersection I saw him at, he actually reversed the blade because he was switching lanes and I saw the folding system in action. It was really interesting looking and it seems to me that it would probably speed things up. It also probably adds a fair amount of weight and complexity to the system.

I've never seen a plow like this before. Are they a common thing and I just haven't ever paid attention? Who makes this blade style?
  2. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

I thought Tenneco made them. One of the local towns was one running around here on a S/A Ford dump here a few years back, the truck went to auction last year. I dunno if these are still made. Oshkosh would certainly know!
  3. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

4. ADK

ADK Member

Like This?

Found this one on ebay.......Nice iron

5. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

that would be great to just go down the parking lots and roads with that and not give a crap who's in front of you
  6. corey1977

corey1977 Member
    from maine

hay oshkosh where was that mot camp was that in the picture?
  7. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Fryeburg, my ole camp/crew.